Saturday, September 23, 2023

Gingersnap Recipe

Katie C. had asked for my Gingersnap recipe in the comments section of my last post but I've been having trouble getting it to her so said I would post it here.  It's a perfect treat for this time of year and I hope you, Katie, along with anyone else who tries it will like it as much as we do.
 
Here goes:
 
GINGERSNAP COOKIES
 
3/4 C butter
1 C sugar
1 egg
1/4 t salt
1/4 C molasses
1 t cloves
1 t ginger
1 t cinnamon
2 C flour
2 t soda
 
Cream butter and sugar.  
 
Add egg, salt and molasses
and mix in.  
 
Then mix in cloves, ginger,
cinnamon, flour and soda. 

Shape into walnut size balls and
roll each ball in granulated sugar.

Place balls on greased cookie
sheet and bake at 375°
for 6-8 minutes.

Cool on cookie sheet a few 
minutes before cooling
completely on racks.

Store in air-tight tin and
immediately hide tin 
or cookies will be gone
by end of day.

My husband prefers them super-soft so I tend to bake them only the 6 minutes but I actually like them to "puff" up a little bit if left in a minute or two longer.  As they cool, they "crack" to give that traditional gingersnap appearance.

Good luck making yours, Katie.  And thanks for your interest.
 

5 comments:

Katie C. said...

Thank you soooo much! It’s another rainy day so I’ll try them today! 😋. I might try using a slip at instead of greasing the pan. I’ll let you know how it goes.

-Katie C.

Mama Pea said...

Katie C. - You're very welcome!

Katie C. said...

Well, that was interesting and very delicious! This is exactly the taste that I was looking for so thank you!

I think my "walnut" was bigger than your walnut. I also didn't account for the spread so my first batch was what I am calling "uni-cookie." Tasty but impractical. After that, I cooked six at a time to be safe.

Monday, I definitely have to call the service people about the thermostat in my oven. It heats up to the right temperature but doesn't maintain it so I am constantly fiddling with the temperature dial to try to trick it into heating up again to stay at the temperature that I was aiming for. It's like a yo yo. With the holiday season coming, I need a working oven!

I have one last question. I didn't end up trying the Silpat. I used butter to grease the cookie sheet and the cookies still stuck a bit. What do you normally use?

Mama Pea said...

Katie C. - Sorry most of your cookies ended up as a "uni-cookie!" Yes, they do spread out to a very flat cookie and that needs to be allowed for when placing the balls on the cookie sheet. I share your frustration with the temp on your oven. Mine has been acting "funny" a bit now, too. The stove has been a good one but is now going on 25 years old so . . .

I always use either lard or coconut oil to grease my cookie sheets with no problem at all. Yep, I think using butter would make the sheet surface too hot and caused your problem with sticking. Might make the bottom of cookies brown too quickly, too. Hope you can get all the little glitches worked out! Have a good week!

Juan Maria said...

I am writting from italy, I was cured by Dr Jekawo a traditional herbal doctor whom has cured many diseases like hiv/aid,herpes,diabetes,parkinson,als,hepatitis,bring back ex, cancer. I was told by a friend of mine to contact Dr Jekawo and after i contacted him he then prepare a herbal medicines for me that cured my hepatitis and prostate cancer completely after drinking his herbal medicines for 15 days. I am so grateful right now and I feel like sharing this here so anyone can get heal by Dr Jekawo. his email contact details is : drjekawo@gmail.com he cure so many disease and they call him a great healer.

Thank you blog admin.