Saturday, December 19, 2020

Blog Post

Catchy title, eh?  That's about as creative as I can get, folks.
 
If I feel these days I have nothing about which to blog, how come my days are filled to the brim from wakening (slowly and with much grumbling and stumbling) to having run out of steam and the need to put my body into a comfy bed (usually around the complete darkness of 5:30 p.m.) at night?
 
Yesterday was butchering day here.  Never what I call a fun experience, but after all, we do raise our poultry for eggs and meat.
 

The operation went very well with our small crew of Chicken Mama (at scalding tub above just outside the garage door), Papa Pea and me.  We did only six ducks and were done with all but a little clean-up by noon.  We tend to like the looks of the black Muscovy ducks and it's proven they suffer less attrition by hawks and owls than the lighter colored birds.  But, oh my, those black pin feathers remaining on the carcasses are, to my mind, simply a culinary turn-off!  Next butchering, Papa Pea wants to try duck wax which is said to be more effective than scalding and plucking.  We shall see how that turns out.
 
As per usual, someone keeps locking the door to keep me out of my quilt room.  (Or maybe that's just my imagination.)  The time I've managed to spend in there recently (short periods with lots of starts and stops) has been spent organizing my embroidery floss onto spools and into designated containers.
 

Methinks this is going to pay off in the future and certainly looks much more organized (duh, ya think?) than keeping the skeins in plastic sandwich bags.
 

Our cookie bake of a week ago was a success, and I've loved having a nice assortment of baked Christmas goodies to give to friends, but it's hard not to snitch one or two (or more) goodies from the selection at various times during the day.  Maybe I should put the tins containing same behind that locked quilt room door instead of on the cool back porch where they are currently stored . . . much too conveniently.
 
This week just past has been much too busy so I'm yearning to take some downtime today and tomorrow.   Someday (when I find the time) I'm going to analyze why two (basically introverted) people living on a small homestead in the woods (during the restrictions of COVID, no less) always have long lists of daily duties which are rarely completed and never need to wonder what we should do to fill our time.
 
Oh, bunkerpoo.  I know I have nothing, not one diddly-sqwat thing, about which to complain.  We're living the life we've chosen, in a location in which we feel safe in a myriad of ways, our lives are truly blessed and never do we experience long days of "I'm bored, Mom, what can I do?"  Right now, I am free to toddle on into that lovely quilt room I'm so fortunate to have, put an interesting audio book in the player and busy my hands, heart and head doing that which feeds my soul.  It's a great feeling. 

9 comments:

tpals said...

As I have yet to reach the sandwich bag level of organizing, I can only gaze in awe at yours.

We don't pluck feathers, we skin. So much easier and my waistline doesn't miss the extra fat at all.

Granny Sue said...

Yes, we too are always surprised at how full our days are. Even though my storytelling came to an abrupt halt this spring, we are stil busier than ever. I appreciate the time freed up for homey things, instead of researching, practicing, promoting, traveling, etc. It's been a really nice change.

Our butchering awaits us after the new year. I'd like to have had it done by now, but our neighbor is raising our hog so we wait for when it's convenient for him. He does taxidermy and has been covered up with work this year.

I just started baking today, and won't do a lot since most of my family doesn't or can't eat many sweets. A good thing, but a let-down for me because I do love to bake. However, my hips certainly don't need it so it's all good.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Years ago, I did the same thing to all of my embroidery floss. I really should take up cross-stitch. I did enjoy it. Good for you, processing your own fowl. We only raised meat birds once and took them to an Amish family who processed for other people. The government cracked down and no longer allow any Mennonite or Amish folk to process for others. They must be government inspected. I just can't bring myself to learn how to (or actually) do it. We will only have egg layers. If only they would lay... -Jenn

Mama Pea said...

tpals - Love your sense of humor. I really do.

It sure would be easier to just skin the ducks but we're trying to incorporate more good animal fats into our diet. I figure even if we roast the ducks with skins on, I can strain the fat from the bottom of the roaster and use it (sparingly) in other ways. And we'll just not eat the skins after they've been cooked, baked or roasted. That's the plan anyway.

Granny Sue - We humans are adaptable, aren't we? I know some people are having a hard time during these unusual rules and restrictions, but having lots of interests to be done right at home or by oneself keeps others of us plenty busy.

Regarding the holiday baking, none of us need all those extra, sugary calories. Ugh. But I do give a lot of our sweets away so there's not a huge amount hanging around for us to feel compelled to gobble up!

Jenn - Wait until you go full swing into retirement. I'm betting you'll have the time to do a lot of things that interest you, but there's only so many hours in a day. But you'll have the time for getting back into handwork if that's what you want.

Our birds have been in molt and non-laying mode for way too long now. We've never had them be "on strike" for such a long period. I did stock pile eggs as we're usually short this time of year but we really need them to start laying now ASAP!

Nancy In Boise said...

I loved baking holiday cookies! Now my adult kids are making their own and we all have decided to cut back. Too much sugar and carbs for some of us. I have gotten to like making pies or tarts instead. Hubby and I, well if I make cookies we eat them, way too fast!!!! Great having your own meats. I had 4 eggs a few days ago from my hens! I'm so happy you love your life, so many don't. My thing is if you're not happy change something, no matter how little. I see lots of be grateful for. Hubby has a co-worker, out of state, only in his 50's, who may be going into hospice. Had cancer and now has a triple infection situation. How awful for his family. We're all happy, employed and healthy. Life is good.

Rosalea said...

Lovely shot of Chicken Mama..and you do have some snow? Those organized floss boxes look so pretty. I also keep stuff out in the 'extra refrigerator'. It limits our consumption, especially now, as it has been in the minus teens C for the last while. For tea breaks, I select a few, lay them on the grate on top of the stove to thaw. Yum..they taste like fresh from the oven! Sure hope you can get back into the quilt room soon. I am looking forward to January, when there will be more time..I hope! (I have a parcel of wool winging its way here...) And yes...we also are so very fortunate to live where we do, with very little risk of Covid, lots of food stored and very little need to go anywhere.

Cockeyed Jo said...

Busy hands and hearts to God! We usually butcher everything before the snow flies. Duck pin feathers are a royal pain with light or dark color birds. Duck meat is too oily for me and prefer goose which is a little less. Although confit duck is delicious.

You are just suffering from the winter doldrums. Shorter days. Colder days. The human body wants to sleep when it gets dark...unless you are my roommate. LOL

Mama Pea said...

Nancy - I have to agree with you regarding overdoing it on the holiday baking. Although I'm not a cookie lover (my husband is) and I don't have much trouble avoiding the overload of cookies around here right now, I told Papa Pea recently that I'd much rather have one dessert item around such as a pie or dish of pudding than ALL the holiday treats. It just seems like a glut to me. So why did I bake such an assortment this year? Sigh. Well, I have given away more than half of the bounty . . .

Rosalea - We do have a few inches of snow on the ground, but not even enough to come to the top of the frames of my raised garden beds. Still, it does make it look holiday-ish out there as it is. As Nancy said above and you reiterated, most of us are so blessed and fortunate to live in an area we chose and to be able to function in these crazy times without disrupting our lives to a great degree. And those of us who are home lovers, although it's not the same by any means, we are happy and can keep in touch with our friends and loved ones who we won't see in person by using the technology available. A good thing.


Cockeyed Jo - There have been times when I've wished my body clock would let me stay up at night into the wee hours doing something, but I've always been a morning person and all my oompf leaves me later in the day! But here we are already at the Winter Solstice. How has this winter passed by so quickly already?

Tim B. Inman said...

I built a 'Whizbang Chicken Plucker' and just love it. I think you would too. I built mine from plans by that name on the internet, and a used plastic 55 gallon drum. I don't do many chickens, but plucking is on the bottom of my list of fun things - WAY on the bottom. Hence, I built the machine.

I'll bet it would be great on those ducks. Pluckers are pretty common anymore. Our farm supply store rents them. I'd give it a try. They really do work!

AND, I'm all for you on the use of all the animal products, including the fat. A little added fat makes the food so good - and we do need some fat in our diets. Plus, that little bit makes us satisfied so we don't want so much other stuff. Anyway, I'm all for you. Merry Christmas from Oakdale Farm.