Sunday, November 5, 2023

Stuff

Rain threatening to turn into snow tonight and through tomorrow had us scrambling today to get a couple of those most necessary tasks done around the homestead.
 
I lent my brute strength to help Papa Pea haul our sport boat to its winter parking spot, unload it from the trailer, turn it upside down on blocks and then store the trailer.  It's really only a "little" boat but both of us have taken some Arnica to make sure a couple of tweaked muscles while manhandling the boat around don't bother us or inhibit a good slumber tonight.
 
I plant Scarlet Runner Beans in the garden each year mainly for the beautiful display of red flowers they give us for most of the season.
 

Our daughter then lets the beans stay on the vines for as long as possible hoping they will dry naturally.  Most years she has to hang them inside her house to complete the process.
 

The bean pods this year grew nearly a foot long and were plentiful.
 

Then she shells the dried beans, puts them in one of her homemade boxes and gives them to friends as Christmas gifts.  They're really an attractive bean with their black and pink coloring.
 


Papa Pea found the time to sort through our apple harvest of a week or so ago.  Not a good year for our apples as the harvest was light.
 

Our best ones are from our crab apple trees.  Or I should say one of the two crab apple trees.  The one from which this apple came gave us an abundant crop.  The other one didn't do much at all.  I like that these crab apples are quite a good size, and they're my favorite for an eating out-of-hand apple.
 

Another reason the main apple crop was disappointing is that much of the fruit was afflicted with either bitter pit or apple maggot.  At first I thought it was bitter pit but by the appearance of this one I just cut open, it looks very much like apple maggot.  Papa Pea thinks we have both problems.  Ugh.
 

It just seems the right time of year for gingersnap cookies (there's a wrong time?) so that's what I baked late this afternoon.  It created a delightful aroma throughout the house and happiness in bellies.
 
There.  I did it.  A new blog post.  And my brain doesn't even hurt.  Much. 

16 comments:

Goatldi said...

Nice post for a newbie again , lol!

Newsy items and love the beans, apples and all else you shared. Which variety do you recommend for a crab apple newbie? I lost all my fruit trees (season 3 this year) except my peach tree which I got twenty four peaches. They made a yummy clobber and have a few bags (small) still in the freezer. I lost the cherry last Spring and then the Jonathon apple also. Lastly the Arkansas Black apple is a favorite of mine after a lot of snow and rain. I lost an older very tall Oak tree to a large snow/rain. The poor thing went to bed and never got up next Spring.

Glad reentry wasn't too painful. Looking forward to the next.

Michelle said...

So are scarlet runner beans not edible? Sorry that your apple harvest was sorry (heh). Ours was exceptionally good this year; I STILL hope to pick more little Braeburns to sauce or can as pie filling.

Rosalea said...

Yeah!! So very glad to see that post! Love hearing about all your bits and pieces.

SmartAlex said...

My Mom used to plant the scarlet runners up our front porch posts. I loved opening the bean pods.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Does your daughter then cook the dried beans? I've also grown scarlet runner beans because they are easy to grow and pretty but only ever ate a few of them in their "young" stage. No, there is never a bad time for ginger snaps! You have me thinking... -Jenn

Mama Pea said...

Goatldi - The Chestnut Crab Apple is the one we have and think it's the best tasting one around. At least in our climate. Sorry for the loss of your various trees. Such a disappointment when we plant and coddle plantings and then they don't make it. Darn.

Michelle - Scarlet Runner Beans are edible, both the pods when young, although they are said to always have a "tougher" texture than regular green bean, and the seeds can be cooked as lima beans would when they are young, too. I don't think many bother with the dried beans as they require a l-o-n-g cooking time. Methinks planting these particular beans these days is more as an ornamental.

Rosalea - Thank you muchly, ma'am!

SmartAlex - Your mom's use of them must have been lovely. What a welcoming sight to those entering the house!

Jenn - Neither daughter nor I have ever cooked the dried beans. (Maybe we should give it a try, eh?) She shares them strictly for planting in one's garden. And giving me enough to replant in my garden. :o)

Leigh said...

I love seeing cookie pictures! But I love harvest pictures too.

I was wondering about the edibility of the dried scarlet runner beans as well. Of course, "long time" is relative. I don't mind cooking something for a couple of days (like making bone broth!)

It's too bad about your apples. I've always had trouble with mine, but fortunately, we like applesauce, so imperfections aren't as critical.

Mama Pea said...

Leigh - I know what you mean about a "long time" cooking period. Seems all my dried beans take a long time! I do have to plan ahead when I roast a turkey (which I do several times a year) because I know I'll need about three days after that to simmer my bone broth! This homesteading life not only requires planning but also time commitment. But you well know that! :o)

Goatldi said...

True. Homesteading is not a "lifestyle". It is a"way of life".

Tim B. Inman said...

You had me at Ginger Snaps! Everything else got sort of blurry after that.... Cheers

Mama Pea said...

Goatldi - Yes, "way of life" is something way too many folks don't understand. Sometimes I get really irritated with hearing, "But why do you do everything the hard way?" It's nearly impossible to explain to people who have that point of view. (Okay, this grumpy-dump gal -- that's me -- will turn on her more charitable and tolerant switch now.)

Tim - A couple (or six) gingersnaps can fix almost anything. ;o)

Shannon Mackle said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Juan Maria said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Barbados said...

Thoroughly enjoyed your post! Your insights are enlightening. Please write more!

John said...

Great post!

Maria Kana said...

Please Read.You have a great post here, Have anyone here know Goji Berries... yes... I tried those too.For my health conditions, Those sweet, red berries seemed to help, but only during the time when I consumed them. I don't want to take a drug for the rest of my life, so why would I want to take a natural supplement everyday for the rest of my life (although Goji berries are very tasty and are highly nourishing). To me this was not a cure either (and I'm LOOKING for the CURE).
Up to that point, I hadn't found a cure. I felt like a young jumbled mess. I continued to have extreme pain, but continued on my path to healing. I started to focus on myself and not everyone else. When I was a young adult, I took on too much responsibility out of a sense of obligation. This was no longer healthy for me, so I resigned from all my projects and groups. Those days to come were the best [and worst] days. I took a lot of time off work, yet begun to feel so extremely exhausted. Many health professionals "diagnosed" me with adrenal fatigue & Hiv,Prostate Cancer so my situation was annoying then I keep searching for permanent cure online that's when I came to know of Dr jekawo herbal doctor hands whom god has blessed with ancestral powers and a gift to heal people with disease like .Cancers,Alzheimer's disease,HPV,Men & Women Infertility,Melanoma, Mesothelioma, Diabetes, Multiple myeloma, Parkinson's disease,Neuroendocrine tumors,Herpes, Hiv/Aids,Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma,, chronic diarrhea, COPD,bring your ex back, Hepatitis... So I made a purchase of his herbal medicines and I have been watching my health for 6 years now and I actually confirmed that his herbal medicines are a permanent cure and I'm so happy that I came to know of his herbal healings.You can contact Dr Jekawo herbal doctor Email: drjekawo@gmail.com if you went through exactly what I go through in terms of health conditions because to be honest there is more to learn about natural herbs than medical drugs.