Sunday, July 23, 2023

A Fine Pie Day


I just finished making two pies.  A Cherry Pie and a Strawberry Creme Pie.
 
This past week I made a Chocolate Velvet Pie, and it was gone before I got even one single piece.  "That's okay," I whined said.  "I've had a craving for Cherry Pie anyway."
 

So first thing this morning I made myself my cherry pie.
 
Then Papa Pea and I decided we'd better croggle on out to the new strawberry patch to see if there were enough berries to warrant picking.  (Our strawberry season is just about done.  Kaputz.  All over.) 
 
Lo and behold, we came in with two bowlfuls which contained a combined weight of 4-1/2 pounds of luscious berries well worth the picking.
 
My dear husband didn't miss the opportunity to make a not-so-subtle suggestion that there would be enough for one more fresh Strawberry Creme Pie, plus plenty to eat in a bowl with cream milk for breakfast a couple of mornings.  (I've lost track of how many of this particular pie I've made already this season.)
 

Of course, I whipped up one per his polite request.  (Having a baked pie shell in the freezer made it a snap.)
 
This pie-baker lady is no dummy.  I know good and well anyone who sees the pies will opt for the Strawberry Creme, and I may just get the whole cherry pie to myself.  (She says with a Cheshire cat grin.) 

10 comments:

Michelle said...

You are the ideal woman (according to most males I know) – a PIE-MAKER! Drooling over that cherry beauty....

Mama Pea said...

Michelle - I'd gladly share my cherry pie with you! Pies happen to be my favorite dessert. (And I used to get paid for making them.) I think I love pies because they're never dry. Same reason I like very few cakes . . . they are so often dry!! If only being a good pie maker would make me the ideal woman. If ONLY! Ha!

Sue said...

Wow! they both look so delicious, my favorite is chocolate pie, cherry pie a close second, the strawberry also is a good, let me be honest, I love all pies.
Sue

Mama Pea said...

Sue - We are "birds of a feather!" :o)

Tim B. Inman said...

I'm with Michelle! You ARE the ideal woman!! "I only like two kinds of pie - hot and cold."

Cheers!

Melly said...

Those pies look lovely! Would you mind sharing the strawberry cream recipe? Thanks!!
--Melanie

Mama Pea said...

Tim - Aha, another pie lover! The only pie I can say I'd pass up is a Pecan Pie. The ones I've tasted are just tooooo sweet. But then, maybe I've never had a really GOOD pecan pie! I even love Pumpkin Pie. Have you heard Garrison Keillor's line regarding pumpkin pie? To paraphrase: "There's no difference between the worst pumpkin pie you've ever eaten and the best." ;o)

Mama Pea said...

Melanie - If you go over to my right hand side bar and scroll way down, you'll find a "search" window. Enter Strawberry Cream Pie (I labeled it "cream" rather than "creme" that time) and hit enter. That should take you to an old blog where I posted the recipe. It's super-simple, easy to make. If that doesn't work for you, let me know. :o)

Tim B. Inman said...

Whoa! Mama Pea. Pecan pie is my all time world's favorite. You're missing out, and I'll bet your opinion is based on those awful grocery store ones. They are just sugar with a nut or two for advertising.

I have been lucky enough to grow Persian or Caucasian walnuts here at Oakdale Farm. They are not actually pecans, but similar. (My climate will not allow pecans.) Get yourself a bag of pecans or 'walnuts' (NOT black walnuts) and give it a try for yourself. Adjust the sugar level WAY down when you make the custard. Lots of nuts! I'll bet you have a change of heart. Homegrown and homemade is always better. I'd even send you a bag of nuts this fall so you can try it with the 'real' thing.

Cheers!

Rosalea said...

You are a pie-making Diva! Save me a piece...or two!