Thursday, November 3, 2022

Winter Is Peeking Around The Corner

And I'm glad.
 
Crazy.  Our Weather these past few weeks.  We've experienced much warmer temperatures than we usually do the last part of October and these first few days of November.  Daytime highs in the 50s and falling only into the 40s at night.  The grass is still very much green (and growing?) and we've had only one or two nights that provided light frost that could be seen in the very early morning.
 
According to the forecast, this all will change with rain/snow moving into our area this weekend and first of next week.  Since the leaves have all left the trees, it will start to look and feel more like the November weather we usually have.  Ah yes, the lull (I'm ready) before the beginning of Thanksgiving and the Christmas holiday season soon to follow.
 

I've been the first one up these mornings (in the total darkness) and have taken to turning on the lights bordering door frames . . . 
 

. . . and lighting candles on the kitchen table to provide a cozy, easy, waking up period before these last days of scrambling outside to tie up all those loose ends that must be done before the snow flies. 
 
Two days ago we had one more cord and a half load of wood delivered to bring our big wood shed up to chock-full.  This wood won't be touched this year as we've got well-seasoned wood in two other sheds that is two and three years old.  What a good feeling to be that much ahead on our wood supply.
 
There is a stack of eight foot-long logs in our back wood working area that we've agreed to work up this winter, even if we have to sweep and/or shovel the snow off of the pile.  What better way to spend part of a sunny day outside in the fresh air working those muscles that don't get as much exercise as they do during the rest of the year.  Then to come inside to a warm, cozy, wood stove-heated kitchen for a bowl of homemade soup and slice of bread.  Stripping it all down to basics, it just doesn't get much better than that.
 
Yep, I'm truly looking forward to the coming months.  Even though I do love gardening and all that entails, the coming winter time looks purdy darn good to me.  I'm totally ready for sparkling white winter to make a full appearance. 

12 comments:

Tim B. Inman said...

I am an unabashed lover of winter time. I love to garden, etc. but I also enjoy the quiet and peacefulness of crisp cold winter air. I suffer through the hot humid days of August here. Why would I want to go to Florida in the winter to resume my misery down there!? I'll build a fire and pursue my indoor hobbies. Cheers.

Mandy said...

I love the soft lights around your doorways. What a great idea! I love winter, but the older I get, the worse it feels on my bones. Haha!

Mama Pea said...

Tim - You can imagine that living up here in snowy, cold Minnesota a large part of our "retired" population heads south to Florida, the Southwest, etc. as soon as the fall colors are gone. Many think we're crazy for never wanting to leave in the winter. But, like you, we love winter time and always, always, always look forward to the coziness of snuggling in when warm weather is over.

Mandy - Thank you! Come fall, I can't wait to put the strings of lights on. Lovely at night but they also really chirk up the house atmosphere when we have a gray, cold, windy day in the winter! Regarding those cold bones (!) of yours, remember you can always put on more clothing in the winter but many folks frown on us running around naked in an attempt to stay comfortable in the hot summer!! ;o)

Michelle said...

I love fall and winter, even though it makes finding opportunities to ride and train my mare more challenging. The forecast is calling for possible now HERE next week!

gz said...

Good to face winter all prepared.
Our larder is fairly well stocked and we hope to get our roof insulation increased in the next couple of weeks.
Although we are off to NZ until March, we want our house-sitter to be comfortable.

SmartAlex said...

Our weather has been sublime. I have noticed the shorter days though. In fact, I actually got bored with the beautiful weather and looked forward to the few rainy days we had. And I loved the one snowy day. I can't complain though. I finally had to give up on sitting outside staring at the blue skies and actually start cleaning the house again. It was long over due.

Mama Pea said...

Michelle - What with all your animals it's probably a good thing that what snow you get doesn't hang around too long! I'll bet a new snow cover makes your horses frisky though. :o)

gz - Oh, my! Off to New Zealand for all the winter months? (Of course, it will be summer time there.) Hope your time there is wonderful.

SmartAlex - Yep, once we put the garden to bed for the winter we think we're gonna have lots and lots of free time. But then we go inside and see ALL that's been neglected while we spent the past several months outside!

Rosalea said...

Crazy is not a strong enough word! It is 15C(59F) here this AM, and no morning fire has been needed for a few days. It is disconcerting, not at all what one is used to for this time of year. I am so ready for white winter.

Mama Pea said...

Rosalea - I agree! It's just not right to have these temps this time of year. Yesterday morning I got up to a 55° reading and commented to hubby that a temp like that is what we frequently have of a night in mid-summer. Makes me wonder just what kind of a winter we're going to have??

Nancy In Boise said...

JUST GOT OUR FIRST SNOW!

Mama Pea said...

Nancy - When you're done with it, please send it our way. I'm so ready for winter to begin! :o)

XImena Jimena said...

Hello everyone my name Ximena Jimena from Cuba i want to use this medium to inform the world on how i got cured from Herpes at first when i had symptoms back in 2014 i went for test and it came out positive i lost hope of getting a better relationship or marriage, everything changed when i met Dr Itua i contacted explained everything to him and he said he has the cure so i decided to order it from him, so i actually did after 2 weeks i went for test and i was negative i'm forever grateful to him.he can also cure
hpv
Hiv/Aids
epilepsy
sickle cell anaemia
diabetes
copd
barrenness
cancer
wart
psoriasis
pityriasis rosea etc.
email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com www.drituaherbalcenter.com