Sunday, October 9, 2022

Is the Garden Done for the Year Yet?

Not quite.  
 
Potatoes are patiently waiting under the soil to be harvested.
 
Horseradish and mint will be cut down after a couple of hard freezes.
 
Scarlet Runner Bean pods are on the vines and when they're dry, beans will be harvested for future plantings.
 
The vines of the colored gourds are still green so I'm waiting for the gourds to naturally dry a bit more.
 
Strawberries will receive their winter blankets of mulch after two or three hard frosts.
 
We have had frost warnings several times in the last week or so.  But we've yet to experience more than one night when we saw an early morning coating of light frost on one roof.  No damage to any plants or perennials yet although it's evident all are reaching the end of their growing season.
 

This past Wednesday we planted out eight new blueberry bushes we had nurtured in big pots over the past year.  They've grown really well and we've high hopes for them to give us lots of berries in another year or so.
 

Considering we were close to getting a frost last Thursday night, I picked the last of the green peppers late that day.  Our good neighbor came over the next morning and took a big bowlful of them to use in making their tomato juice and spaghetti sauce.  As you can see, I wasn't any too careful in picking the last of them knowing the plants were destined for composting. 
 

I've also harvested the last of the slicing cucumbers.  Seven were of picking size which we'll eat and enjoy.  There were many half-sized ones still on the vines but I knew they wouldn't do much growing now that the temps are so low.  I pulled the vines day before yesterday and relegated them to the compost heap.
 

I have the raised beds (all 26 of them) planned out (no, no not planted but just planned for next season.  Most often I find myself making some last minute changes as spring planting progresses.  One bed is marked for garlic which will get planted most likely this coming week.  Planting garlic in the fall definitely works best for us up here in the north part of the country.
 

My onions . . .
 

. . . and garlic have about one more week of curing and then I'll clean and store them for the coming winter months.  As mentioned above, some of the biggest cloves of garlic from the biggest bulbs will be planted for next year's harvest. 
 
We've been out and about a couple of times to enjoy the gorgeous fall colors in our neck o' the woods which have now just about reached their peak and won't be with us for much longer now.  The end of the very short couple of months of perfectly lovely weather has come and will be gone too soon.  But that signals the start of another great season up here in the north . . . beautiful winter! 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well look at you show off 😊
I am most certainly with you on the garlic timing. I think my main point is I plant what I call my bookcase beds. They are two really long but only 2 1/2 feet wide. Fashioned by two old shelving units in the shop when I moved here. Since they don’t get harvested until May to June I always dedicate them to “spring” veggies that go into the ground later than others. The best of both worlds 😉

NanaDiana said...

You have done a great job with all your gardening efforts and I love that you have next years plantings all figured out! You go, girl.
We are not full color here yet--it is just starting. Really late for us this year.
I hope you have a great week-xo Diana

Nancy In Boise said...

Sounds like you have a great plan! I wish we could grow blueberries here but the soil is too alkaline. Some people do grow them in pots successfully but it's just so hot here I don't know that they'd work. My garden plan changes here and there every year depends on different things. We were really happy our strawberry row survived all the 100° heat! Fall is definitely here and I think winter is just around the corner. Been in the low 40s at night pretty soon it will hit the 30s and then we'll see if we get some snow this month? What's the earliest you guys get snow there?

Leigh said...

You all are so organized with your gardening routine. I need to follow your lead!

Rosalea said...

Hard to believe you've had no frost yet! We are done and dusted, and had a skim of snow on Saturday AM. We are surrounded by the wonderful colours of fall, just past peak now.
Those cucs look so good. Garlic planting is pretty much the final thing on this year's gardening list.

Anonymous said...

Is now the best time to harvest horseradish? I live in zone 6. I haven't been able to get reliable info about the best time to harvest fall? or spring?

Tim B. Inman said...

My gardening season slammed to a close Saturday. We had 23F overnight down here in the beautiful sunny south. So...Now on with the cleanup! I'm ready for it. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Well Mama Pea since I’ve never grown horseradish as much as I like it occasionally I wouldn’t be the one to ask that. Although I do have other friends out here in the mountains in California who say it grows just fine thank you and I never asked about a harvest day.

Anonymous said...

I was the first anonymous and then I did the one from the mountains not having ever planted it I don’t know who the next one is not me though it’s because I can’t post on your blog when I’m on my iPhone using my Goatldi handle
only when I’m on Chrome can I post and use my accurate identity I have no idea why.

Mama Pea said...

Goatldi - I knew the "other" Anonymous wasn't you. I also remember that you can't post with your Goatldi handle unless you're on Chrome. Maybe just sign your Anonymous comments with "Goatldi??" That way I won't wonder if it's you for sure. (Don't want to tax my brain any more than I have to!)