Friday, August 26, 2022

Weeds

I have a little book entitled, Simple Pleasures - Soothing Suggestions & Small Comforts for Living Well Year Round, written by a trio of authors, Robert Taylor, Susannah Seton, and David Greer.  It's a compilation of quotes gathered from their various friends and acquaintances.
 



In this book, I recently came across a piece (written by an anonymous author) that made me realize there are others who feel the same as I do about weeding.
 
For Love of Weeds

I have a confession to make that I hope my father
never hears -- I love weeding.  During the
summers when I was small, my father 
used to pay me fifty cents an hour to 
pull weeds from our extensive gardens.
I suppose, looking back on my wage scale,
it was a great deal for him,
but it was even better for me.
It was such a feeling of accomplishment
to finish a square area and look down at all that
sweet-smelling moist dirt and
not see a single little invader.


Exactly!  Remember the picture I recently posted of a portion of our blueberry patch that had been sadly neglected?


Same patch after I spent some quality time in it happily pulling and digging out the rasty weeds.

And nobody even had to pay me to do it.
 

4 comments:

SmartAlex said...

I enjoy weeding too. I like to get down there next to a big patch of weeds and work through it methodically. Of course I don't have many big patches of weeds so I suppose it is somewhat of a novelty. But it is a vey satisfying process.

Rosalea said...

Looking good! I don't mind weeding either, although my back may say differently!

Mama Pea said...

SmartAlex - Yes, planting in contained beds (and planting intensively) does cut down on weed growth, doesn't it? (Yay for raised beds!) I rarely have the weeds get away from me in the beds, but my "flat" areas . . . well, I sometimes fantasize about having a teeny-tiny tractor, a miniature of a farmer's big one that he goes up and down the rows weeding the corn with, for keeping those areas of mine weed free!

Rosalea - This is the first year my back complains often. I refuse to think it's because of my . . . um, uh . . . advanced age!! :o)

Goatldi said...

Wow imagine my surprise when I thought we were being treated to a photo of Papa Pea!