Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Mid-Week Jibber-Jabber

Spring and the departure of all our snow is definitely behind that of last year.  It seems we've been watching snow melt (and inches of new snow fall) forever.  But we all know Mother Nature can't be controlled, and we are sincerely happy to be going into the spring/summer season without a drought looming (like last year) so we'll be patient and welcome real spring weather once it arrives.  With our first-of-the-morning temperature today of 26°, it may take a while yet.
 
* * * * * * * 

 Holey smoley, do we have flocks of birds at our feeders right now.  The feeding stations are currently needing to be filled sometimes twice a day.  All winter we didn't see as many wild birds as we do now.  Juncos, Purple Finches, Downy Woodpeckers, Chickadees, Nuthatches and even a Flicker who regularly decimates the peanut butter feeder.  Also one lone fella that we think is a Blackburnian Warbler.  And a couple of White-Throated Sparrows.
 
* * * * * * * *
 
Our trail cameras are regularly catching glimpses of deer, wolves, foxes and skunks!  (Plus, frequently two-legged creatures who live here.)
 
* * * * * * * *
 
Even though the ground is still frozen, construction of the berm boxes that will be the home for some new landscaping plants has commenced.  I've waited a long time (and not very patiently) for this landscaping project and am very excited to see the start of it.
 
* * * * * * * *
 
My vegetable and fruit gardens will once again, after being scaled down last year, be back up to their usual "wow-that's-a-lot!" this growing season.  I can hardly wait.  As the price of food continues to go up, up, up, we feel it's absolutely necessary to produce as much as we can right here at home.  I'll also be growing supplemental feed for the poultry, too.
 
* * * * * * * *
 
Today I'm finishing up some lovely beef bone broth made from meaty soup bones purchased from friends who have an organic farm in the southern part of the state.  Right after noon I started roasting a turkey I've had defrosting in the spare refridge.  After taking all the meat off the bones, the carcass will go into my biggest pot and make thick, gelatinous turkey broth to use in soups, sauces and many other dishes.  It'll feel good to have a resupply of both broths available.
 
* * * * * * * *
 
I'm using this time before much can be done outside to make and have ready any and all foods that will be available for quick meals during (actual) spring and summer weather when I'm outside most of the day and not able to spend much time in the kitchen.  Once again, I've hired a maid and a cook to take over my inside duties while I'm outside, but in all probability they won't show up.  Once again.
 
 

8 comments:

Retired Knitter said...

One comment caught my eye. I am not a cook, but I have made broth at times and sometimes with chicken broth I get what you called "thick, gelatinous” broth. I thought something was wrong with it and I never used it. I thought the gelatinous texture was too much fat. Please tell me that I didn’t throw away perfectly good (or even great) broth! I am such a dunce in the kitchen. The only broth I usually use is the stuff in the store, and I thought it was supposed to have that texture. Looking forward to your answer.

Rosalea said...

Great update! Been wondering how your snow melt is going. It can be a frustrating time of year when one wants to get going on outside stuff, but, everything is frozen hard, like it is this morning..again...but. the sun is shining! Love to see the birds. Flickers arrived here a few days ago, and there has been a bluebird pair checking out one of the nest boxes. Its very early for them. The frogs hit full voice for just a night or two, but its been too cold again since then. White crowned and white throated sparrows are starting to sing. That darn maid doesn't show up here either. Guess I don't pay enough!

Mama Pea said...

Retired Knitter - Gotta tell you you did throw away perfectly good broth! ;o) The gelatin is what gives bone broth its super healthy benefits including that for skin, joints, immune systems and gut health. It's not fat at all. Collagen that naturally occurs in bones, tendons and cartilage leaches out into water and the cooked collagen is the gelatin. It's very good for us. When you cook (simmer) a poultry carcass don't hesitate to throw everything into the pot. Skin, ligaments, bones, every squiggly thing you might think of throwing away. After simmering for a couple few days (yes, that long) all the goodness will be extracted and you'll have a lovely gelatinous broth. When I recently did my beef soup bones, they were very fatty so I did skim off some of the fat but that's not the collagen-filled good stuff. When ready, strain the broth to remove all the "debris" and keep the great, health-giving broth. Your homemade broth is 100% better than store bought!

Rosalea - Ha, I dreamed last night about the peepers in our pond starting to "sing." Much too early here though as the pond is still ice and snow covered. Must go fill the bird feeders (again!) now as the birds are starting to give us nasty stares through the window!

Sharon said...

I'm wondering what you grow to supplement your chicken feed?

Mama Pea said...

Sharon - Root crops have worked for us. Mangels, turnips, rutabagas, carrots, potatoes, squash, pumpkins, and such. We find if we set a pan of these veggies chunked up in a pan of water overnight on the wood stove, the birds gobble them up like candy. They'll peck at them raw but devour them much more readily when served warmed and slightly soft on a cold winter's morning. (Are we spoiling them?) We've read that the old-timers used to do this as a regular thing when they couldn't grow or get (or afford) all the grains and/or laying mash they wanted.

Katie C. said...

I just made and canned chicken stock yesterday. I use my slow cooker overnight about 12 hours. I also use my gravy separator to defat it. Super easy. Got 2 quarts and 3 pints.


Everything but the cluck baby! 🤣🤣🤣

Mama Pea said...

Katie C. - Way to go for all that nutritious good stuff! :o)

Tim B. Inman said...

I just found 3 jars of chicken broth hidden behind some other stuff the other night. Wow! I was so happy. There's nothing like your own thick gelatinous broth. My wife always made it much as you describe, then after straining, chilled it overnight. Off came the 'fat cap' and then gently reheated and into canning jars. I do it much the same now. Wonderful stuff!