Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Wildlife Abounds

We're capturing many pictures of the deer, wolves and foxes on our trail camera.
 

They all look healthy, well fed and in good shape.  The camera shows there are many foxes in our area but we've yet to spot one in person this winter.  Rabbits are supposedly a main part of a fox's diet and although we do see tracks of rabbits in the woods, they, too, haven't been showing themselves to our human eyes. 
 
Squirrels have multitudinous tunnels in the high snow piles on the south side of our house where the sunflower seed feeders are for the birds.  I wonder how they can see way down there under the snow?
 
The snow is getting so deep that the deer will soon be more prone to being stalked and taken down by the wolves who are able stay on top of the snow more easily than the sharp-hoofed deer.  'Tis the way of nature. 

10 comments:

Nancy In Boise said...

Great photo! You definitely have lots of snow

Mama Pea said...

Nancy - Thanks! And yup!!

Rosalea said...

That is a BEAUTY! Most of our deer have gone to the yard, and we are seeing wolves and coyotes on our cameras. Love your snow piles!

Mama Pea said...

Rosalea - I know fox include a lot of mice in their diet, but now with our snow so deep I wonder if they're having trouble rooting them out? I suppose just like the rabbits, the mice are scurrying about on top of the snow at times, too, so maybe that's when the foxes get them. Am sending you several 5-gallon pails of our snow. We have plenty to share. ;o)

Michelle said...

And I just took a walk in 72° here in TX! Of course, it got down to 5° last week here.... Yesterday and today I spotted a jackrabbit (two yesterday); love those fast and flighty creatures. We don't have them where I live.

Mama Pea said...

Michelle - Was a fox chasing the jackrabbit? (Haha.) Wow, the difference in the temperature between 72° and 5° . . . I've heard of vast fluctuations like that all over the country lately. Doesn't seem normal.

betty said...

That is a beautiful picture! I guess it is part of nature but it is sad to think of the deer being taken down by the wolves :(

betty

Mama Pea said...

betty - I know what you mean when thinking about a deer losing its life to the wolves. But as you say, it is part of nature.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

That's a lot of snow. I haven't seen a fox here in quite a few years now. The deer are very active. On the drive to the cemetery, there were 5 killed in one area. We are also seeing a lot of dead skunks by the roadside. I had to put the chickens in early yesterday due to a hawk. I can't wait to build a new coop (if we ever get the time to do it). Great photo by the way.

Mama Pea said...

Kristina - We who live in a rural area are really blessed to see all the wildlife we do. I forget that many folks spend their whole lives and never see what we do living so close to nature. I don't know why but we have seen very few road killed deer this year. That's good, of course, but I'm wondering why. Thanks for the compliment on the fox photo.