Sunday, January 30, 2022

Words To Live By. And Why.

 
Remember other people's birthdays.
 
As we advance in age (ahem), most people don't feel birthdays seem the same as when we were children.  But even adults feel purdy darn special when receiving a birthday card (or two or ten) in the mail.  Okay, a greeting via text or e-mail is nice, too, but there's still a lot to be said for holding a card in your hands and knowing someone has thought of you and taken the time to send you a card.

Write "Thank You" notes.

Feeling appreciated is a basic human need.  It really doesn't take that long or that much effort to write a short thank you note in response for something nice or helpful someone has done for you.  An old-fashioned bit of good manners, you say?  Perhaps, but once again, we all yearn to be appreciated and we all still like to get mail.
 
Do it now.

This is something I've taken to heart recently.  Instead of writing a task on your list or making a mental note to do it when you "have time," do it now.  We have too many items on our To Do Lists already and certainly our brain cells as so overloaded these days that trying to remember simply adds more stress.  Unless it's a task that requires a large amount of time to accomplish, quit agonizing about it and do it.  Then you know what?  It's done.  And you haven't added to the mental or physical clutter.  There is an immediate reaping of the benefits.

Try to find the humor in all situations.

Other than extreme dire circumstances, there's always a funny or positive spin you can put on all happenings.  Even if you have to go for silly, it will lighten the mood and put a smile on someone's face.

Show your appreciation.

No one will know if you only assume they know.  Speak your appreciation, give a hug or even a kiss.  (Although a loving kiss may get you into trouble at the DMV office.)

Be on time.

If you are habitually late, it does nothing but show disrespect for others.  You will not win friends or influence people.  It's guaranteed to create negative reactions.

Don't waste time grieving over past mistakes.

Learn from them (often times that simply means not repeating them) and move on.  As Tim of Oakdale Farm recently commented on one of my posts, " . . . it is most important to learn to roll with the punches and look ahead, not behind.  What was, was.  What is in the future is what could still be!"  If we don't move on, we will forever be stuck where we are.




15 comments:

betty said...

I like all these words to live by and the reasons to do so. Thank you notes are becoming a lost art unless we resolve to do our part to keep them going! I for one am not fond of my birthday nor want much fuss to do with it, but I think this year I will make it a point to send more birthday cards to family and friends rather than just the text message "Happy birthday" or writing something on their Facebook timeline. Good advice to give us today! Thanks!!!

betty

Mama Pea said...

betty - Gotta say I'm not fond of my own birthday either because I am appalled at the chronological age it says I am! (Fortunately, I don't feel anywhere near those number of years, but they cannot be denied!) My mom was sooo good at remembering so many birthdays of family and friends and always sent a card. I'm going to try to do a better job at copying her example.

NanaDiana said...

What a wonderful post...full of wisdom. Birthdays have never bothered me and I don't like anyone to make a fuss over me.
I hope you have a wonderful week,Mama Pea! xo Diana

Mama Pea said...

NanaDiana - Thank you! As (I think it was) Ronald Reagan said, getting older and birthdays didn't bother him because of the alternative! ;o)

Michelle said...

A great list, Mama Pea! I used to be the "family scribe," writing letters, sending cards and thank-yous. I have slipped; need to get back to it.

Mama Pea said...

Michelle - Since we've all gotten tied to computers (and keyboard typing), I find it much harder and time-consuming to hand write a letter. But I know when I get one, it seems very special to me. So, yepper, it's something we should all attempt to do more often. One of my male cousins still sends me a hand written letter every couple of months, and I do so look forward to getting them.

Lady Locust said...

I love this list! This should be taught in schools. So often a very little gesture can go a long ways to making someone's day a lot better.

SmartAlex said...

I am a born pessimist but luckily I inherited the strong situational sense of humor that runs through my family. It helps! I remember one day when my now husband's basement flooded and we had to cancel lunch plans and haul everything out on the driveway to dry. The last box we lifted broke through at the bottom and I just burst out laughing. He said it helped that at the end of such an awful chore I could still find the humor. And I was wondering how anyone couldn't! I am also a procrastinator so Do It Now has to play in a loop in my brain or I would never get anything done.

Mama Pea said...

Lady Locust - More than these thoughts being taught in school, what about being taught at home? It's distressing that the younger generations aren't learning basic common sense and how important it is to have good manners and consider how personal behavior can affect others. Ooops, sorry, didn't mean to get on my soap box this morning. ;o) Thanks for your kind comment.

SmartAlex - What??! You? A pessimist and procrastinator?? I never would have guessed!

Susan said...

All true. I'd rather get a birthday card than a gift in the mail. I can look at them and appreciate the thoughts behind the card. It's also tangible evidence that I am still alive.

Mama Pea said...

Susan - You are most certainly "alive!" And kickin' and busier than ever. Didn't I tell you this would happen when you retired from your day job? Now you can never retire from your present day job. And isn't that wonderful? :o)

Leigh said...

I remember when common courtesy used to be an accepted part of human interactions. Nowadays, it seems to be a rare bird.

Mama Pea said...

Leigh - Agreed. I fear a large part of our population no longer has any idea what common courtesy is. How do we go about turning it back to what it needs to be??

Tim B. Inman said...

Holly Smokes! I've been memorialized.... But so I don't get accused of plagiarization, let me share the source of my 'look ahead not behind' gem.

In our Wisconsin years we lived across the street from the 8th hole of a golf course. There were signs on the tees that said, "To improve play, look ahead, not behind." I loved that message, and have tried to live by it ever since.

Another one I like: "A pessimist is just an optimist - with experience."

Cheers!

Mama Pea said...

Tim - I think you've made that gem yours by now and I'm going to keep using it as wise words given out to us readers from your well-earned plethora of wisdom! ;o)