Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Curiosity

As I've heard some of you comment, flowers seem to be blossoming earlier than usual this year.  Like a few of my other flowers, this is true of the cosmos I've planted.
 
But something weird is going on with them.
 

When the blossoms unfurl, they look like they've been in one heckuva fight.  Even the coloration is strange.  Although this particular one above isn't as bad as most others, they look as though they've been picked and spent too much time in a vase so that they should be relegated to the compost pile. 
 
The buds look perfectly normal, but not the flowers themselves.  Any ideas what may be going on? 

13 comments:

Michelle said...

Looks like the flowers feel pretty much like the rest of us do!

Mama Pea said...

Michelle - That may be the simplest and most intelligent observation available!

Michelle said...

Well, you just perked my petals right up! 😊

Mama Pea said...

Michelle - :o) :o) :o)

Granny Sue said...

I think Michelle is right--the heat and lack of water might be damaging the buds. Such a strange year.

Mama Pea said...

Granny Sue - I've been watering religiously but we all know water from a hose or sprinkler just isn't the same as rain. We have a 60% chance of thunder storms tomorrow. Will we actually get some rain? If so, we hope it will be gentle with no lightning strikes. Is that asking too much? :o\

Rae said...

We inherited a beautiful lily, when we bought our home and every year it has come up with the biggest buds and flourishing flowers. They have been huge, last year especially. This year, not so much. The buds were smaller and I wondered if I had imagined different from previous years, but no, smaller buds and much smaller lilies and not as prolific. They also did not stay bloomed very long before losing their petals. I assumed it was the lack of rain. (I only watered by throwing out the cats water bowl, before refilling.) Ranee (MN)

wyomingheart said...

Seems like some type of stress…take your pick…Lol ! I am having some Calendula showing weird developing, but I thought it was my new water trough beds that they were having trouble with… interesting! You may be on to something!

Lisa K Thomasson Jung said...

I am thinking too much rain and now heat here. But they are still lovely.

Susan said...

I totally agree with Michelle! My petals are drooping. xxo

linnellnickerson@gmail.com said...

I think all our petals are drooping. xo

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Heat? Lack of water?

Sue G said...

The same thing has happened with my sunflowers. looked like they got beaten up before fully bloomed.