Thursday, June 3, 2021

A Hum-Drum Post?

I realize my blog posts have been infrequent.  Don't have an explanation for it, but it seems to be affecting many bloggers at this point in time.  Kudos to those of you who haven't fallen into this abyss and are still posting regularly.  Your posts are enjoyed.
 
I've been watching my divided and transplanted rhubarb but haven't wanted to take a first harvest from it yet.  For a rhubarb lover as I am, it's been hard.  Bless her, our daughter stopped in last night after her work day and plopped a bagful of lovely red stalks down on my counter.  The household where she nannies has an abundance of rhubarb, and I was quick to make a 9 x 13 pan of our favorite rhubarb cake almost as soon as she left.  Can hardly wait to cut into it today.
 
Our strawberry plants are looking good with lots of lovely white blossoms.  Last year's harvest wasn't great but we're crossing our fingers for this year.  All the more so as I don't hold out much hope for our blueberries.  Sad to say, most of our bushes seem to have given up the battle with Witches Broom and I'm afraid we're going to lose them.  Now I'm concerned for the eight new bushes we planted in the plot this spring.  Is the Witches Broom a cyclical thing?  I haven't found more evidence of it on the bushes since winter time.  Nor have we ever seen it before in fifty-some years of gardening. 
 
We ordered a batch of little bantam chicks that arrived a week ago.  The only chicken variety that we've ever had successfully hatch out new chicks here on the homestead were bantams so we were hoping to raise some up that would do so again.  Unfortunately, the shipment of the little guys got "delayed" in the U.S. postal system and were not in good shape when they arrived.  To date, we've lost all but three of the fifteen.  Papa Pea contacted the hatchery yesterday just to let them know of the slow delivery time table, and they couldn't have been nicer.  They offered us a complete refund or a replacement shipment of chicks.  We chose the replacement which was shipped yesterday.  Let's hope they make it through the mail in a timely manner.
 
We're still lacking rainfall.  I can't remember a year when I've watered the garden more so early in the season.  Our temperatures haven't been hot (which is good considering) but the soil is dry.  Difficult for transplants taking hold and emerging seeds.
 
There's still too much for both of us to do in a day's time and our efforts to gain a more balanced life have been frustrating.  The items to cut out on the To Do List almost seem an impossibility at this time of year.  Staying positive, grateful for all we have (including good health!) and much appreciation of our lives here is a good thing.  A very good thing.

15 comments:

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

I just posted and wrote about an abundance of rhubarb. If you lived down the road, I'd give you an armful! That's too bad about the chicks! I've stopped getting chicks because I don't have a proper separate place in which to raise them and keep them away from the hens who, as you know, would likely peck them and make their lives miserable until they are big enough to join the general population. -Jenn

tpals said...

So very dry here, too. Mowing the lawn I looked like Pigpen with his cloud of dirt. Luckily there won't be much grass growing until the rain returns. We are heating up; 90s this weekend. Seems funny that I'm getting a load of firewood today.

Mark said...

Umm... Hi!! I'm one of those who fell through the cracks! My situation is a bit better now and hopefully I can be active on the blog again.

We lost most of our flock to 'coons last fall, and were able to get "ready to lay" replacements from our local feed mill. We love having a hen raise chicks, but we're not set up to do it ourselves.

We still haven't been able to maintain a stand of rhubarb. Guess I'm going to have to get serious about soil testing and amendment, or maybe it's location, location, location!

SmartAlex said...

Gah! The USPS is in an AWFUL state. I get testy enough when our FedEx guy twiddles around with my clearly marked LIVE plants. I would be beyond pissed if it happened with chicks. We are on the end of the FedEx route so he saves up a few days worth before he compels himself to come out this far.

The USPS is colossally screwed up at this point. My husband carefully tracks his shipments across country and the tails I could tell you.... And then our regular carrier was off one day and the sub claimed someone at the office told him it was OK to deliver our packages to the church a mile down the road. I'm not buying it. We've had several phone conversations with management and they tell us they are monitoring our deliveries. Yeah, well, so are we.

Nancy In Boise said...

We're having record-high here in Boise today a hundred degrees. That's way too hot for this time of year we usually get that Late July or August or so. So sad about your chicks! Fingers crossed for next batch will come through. I've actually never hatched eggs before I usually buy one or two old chicks from a local Hatchery. But I understand you're in more of a rural area. You probably get more choices that way too! Good luck with your strawberries! I'm just getting ready to plant some this weekend once it cools off. I've been blogging a little bit less often but usually once a week we've just had so many big projects going on but once we get our veggies planted this weekend things should slow down a bit luckily. I'm also changing jobs and I am thrilled! I have the worst manager ever. Now I'm saying bye bye to her and on to the next phase. I never had a zoom interview before that was the first. But it went well since they offered me the job the next day. Happy dance

Anonymous said...

How horrible for the baby chicks. Their suffering is not something to say "oh well" about. Please get your chicks locally or hatch them from eggs from locals. If we can do it here in drought ridden Colorado...so can you.

Save on shipping too.

Jesus said he knows and feels the loss of EVERY sparrow that falls....how much more would he feel about chicks being shipped like they mean nothing? Mankind (and women) seem to have lost all compassion....including you Mama Pea.

Leigh said...

I'm so sorry to hear about those chicks. There's no excuse for allowing a delay on live animals! I don't mail order chicks any more because of our post office.

We need rain too. Praying for rain for both of us.

Mama Pea said...

Jenn - An armful of rhubarb? Oh, happy day! Usually I would have more than I could use by now, too, but it was time to dig up my old, old plant, divide it and move to a new spot. I'm pretty sure if our weather hadn't been so dry, the new start would be in better shape by now.

tpals - Ha, we're experiencing very hot weather here, too. And we've been talking about ordering our first delivery of wood. Can't have that stuff (wonderful stuff!) in the yard and stacked too soon in the season.

Mark - So good to be hearing from you again! I wonder if your winters aren't cold enough for rhubarb? It does require freezing temps then. But when we were in northern Illinois, our rhubarb did okay. Hmmmm, you would probably be a little south of us when we were in that location. Sometimes getting what you want to grow is a real challenge!

SmartAlex - As with so many things these days, it's not like it used to be. Is it all the ripple affect of covid? Or is there some other factor at work? Whatever, it certainly is frustrating. Sigh.

Nancy - First of all, congratulations on the new job position! Whoever is your employer, they should be happy to have a hard working, conscientious person like you. The reports of weather all over our country are just wonky. Ya sure can't count on anything, can you? We are many hundreds of miles from a hatchery and about three hours from a feed store that might have chicks for sale. And you're right, even a feed store doesn't leave much variety to choose from. Good luck with the strawberries. Those red gems grown in your own yard can't be beat!

Leigh - I don't know what excuse the postal service can give for not giving priority to live animals. Or live plants for that matter. Lots of hot, hot weather for us this weekend . . . and no rain in sight. Hope you get some soon because I know your temps are steadily much higher than ours. Ooooof!

wyomingheart said...

What is your favorite rhubarb recipe? We got our first plants this year, and they should be good for next year. I must admit that I have never made anything with rhubarb. I can’t seem to grow an herb, but seems like I can grow rhubarb, which I’m not sure I will like... go figure! Get a great weekend!!

Mama Pea said...

wyomingheart - Oh, gosh! To pick a favorite rhubarb recipe when I truly love the stuff. I've done several blog posts on my recipes. If you wish, go over (and way down) on my right hand side bar until you find the Search box. Type in "rhubarb" and it should bring up a few of my recipes for you to peruse! Let me know if you have any questions.

Rosalea said...

Sorry to hear about your chicklets, Mama Pea. Hope the new ones arrive in good shape. I would sure love to share my bounty of rhubarb with you! We got some much needed rain late yesterday, but could use lots more. I have been watering steadily as well. Once things get big enough, on goes the leaf mulch. It makes a big difference.

tpals said...

Oh, the irony. I found a hen with three chicks yesterday. I wasn't planning on hatching any this year, but she made her own choice.

Mama Pea said...

Rosalea - I was able to do some mulching with grass clippings today. I'm struggling to get lettuce to germinate and grow this year but the salad greens (mizuna, frisee, arugula, etc.) I started inside are big enough to have the mulch put around them. New chicklets have arrived and are doing quite well. I had a talk with my newly divided and transplanted rhubarb this morning. Another week, maybe, and I'll feel okay about taking enough stalks for a rhubarb goodie.

tpals - Sounds like a delightful surprise to me! They'll no doubt turn out to be the best chickens.

Goatldi said...

Yikes! You are tougher than this. Press on head up as your intentions are honorable.

Yes things are changing we have known this for awhile now. But we have two choices be part of the problem or part of the answer.

You and Papa Pea are strong and I know will find a solution to the new road blocks we are all in countering!

Mama Pea said...

Goatldi - Wise words, woman! ;o) You're a good example of keeping going and working through life's changes and those road blocks being thrown at us. I shall (try to) follow your lead!