Tuesday, February 2, 2021

I Should Have Burned It

We've become quasi-grandparents to the smart and adorable little 2-1/2 year old our daughter is nanny for during the day.  The two of them come here to visit every Thursday and A has a section of one of our bookcases that holds a good supply of old and new books we've gathered for him.
 

There has been one of those books he frequently picks out when we snuggle on the couch for a reading session.  This book is one both dear daughter and I detest dislike very much.  The illustrations are ugly and the text is just . . . dumb.
 
The last time I read the book to A, I whispered to my daughter that I had a feeling it was going to mysteriously "disappear." 
 
The next trip I made to our local resale shop, the book was among the other items I donated.
 
This morning I got a call from our daughter at A's house.
 
She said, "A and his mama went to the resale shop this weekend, and guess what A brought home."
 
I must admit we all, including Papa Pea, got a good laugh out of this.
 
But, it just goes to show that I really should have burned the darn book.  The only saving grace is, at least, it is now on the bookshelf at A's house rather than mine. 

16 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh, that IS funny!

Mama Pea said...

Michelle - :o) :o) :o)

Debby said...

Now this is the perfect solution. She still gets the joy of that book, but YOU don't have to read it to her.

Mama Pea said...

Debby - Amen, for sure! ;o)

Cockeyed Jo said...

LOL at least it's not at your house.

tpals said...

Oh, that made me laugh. :)

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

He likes what he likes! That's too funny! -Jenn

wyomingheart said...

Hilarious... that is definitely one for the books... lol !

Mama Pea said...

Cockeyed Jo, tpals, Jenn, and wyomingheart - The book has been gone from here for 2-3 weeks already and he's never asked for it. I'd give a lot to know what went through his little mind (which seems quite advanced for his age) when he saw the book at the resale shop. Might he have actually thought, "I like this book so much I'd like to have one at home, too," or could it possibly be, "I wonder why this book is here. It's supposed to be at Mama Pea's house." We'll never know, will we!

Kris said...

A million movie scripts.
"This thing will destroy everything!"
"Oh no, we have to destroy it!"
"Nah, we'll just hide it -- no one will ever find it again...."
cue foreboding music.

LOL

Mama Pea said...

Kris - Dum-da-dum-dum!!! ;o)

linnellnickerson@gmail.com said...

Isn't that a Hoot! I think it was really meant for him to have it. You just never know what appeals to a child. Take care!

Kim said...

Oh my, things like that have a way of becoming a test of our patience and sense of humor

Mama Pea said...

linnellnickerson - Yep, we're scratching our heads wondering just what it is the appeal of this particular book. Could it be the illustrations because they are "different?" (Ugly, but not scary.) Or for some reason, the story which just doesn't make sense to us?

Kim - Oh, if we could only keep our sense of humor (rather than the sometimes hard fought patience!) at the forefront when dealing with the little ones!

Retired Knitter said...

Too funny!!

Mama Pea said...

Retired Knitter - We did all get a laugh out of the situation which, you must admit, is needed and appreciated right now. :o)