This was the jumble of dead asparagus ferns from last season I let form a bit of insulation for the roots over winter. But now they needed to be cleaned up before those first, little asparagus shoots started showing their heads.
The patch isn't done yet, but I've made a good start on it. Ferns removed and small weeds dug out and removed. Yes, underneath all those ferns I found healthy, green weeds already taking hold.
Now I have to till in between the rows, put a little compost on the rows and then mound about 6" of loose soil up on the rows. I'll post a picture of the finished bed when I get that done.