Monday, October 2, 2017

Garden Going Into Fall

The growth rate of what's left in the garden has s-l-o-w-e-d way down which is only natural this time of year.

The raised beds with cold frames of peppers and cucumbers are still giving us fruit but at a much slower rate than a couple of weeks ago.

I harvested the mangels and turnips (destined as supplemental poultry feed this winter) on Saturday.


Honkin' big things these mangels are.  But considering they can get much bigger, these probably wouldn't be classified as prize winners.


The turnips are most likely bigger than desirable for human consumption, and would be "woody", but I'm thinking the poultry will be happy of a cold, wintry morning to have some warm cooked chunks of either turnips or mangels for breakfast.


Our blueberry bushes are starting to turn their lovely crimson color.  Last week we picked what was the last (a whopping cup and a half full) of the berries.  It was a bountiful year for the berries and we have a huge stash in the freezer.


The big pumpkins are all coloring up nicely.  I've counted about 13 of them.  The pie pumpkins on the arbor trellis are coming along, too, albeit a bit more slowly.  I didn't get as many of them (only eight) as I had hoped for.  There will be plenty for pies but I wanted some for decoration in my window boxes, too.


The sunflowers continue to bloom much to the delight of our honey bees.


The butterflies seem to be enjoying them, too.


The zinnias are hanging in there except for the big, overgrown ones that are keeling over from their own weight.  I especially like the orange ones this time of year.


The mass of nasturtiums got relocated to the compost pile this weekend.  We enjoyed them up until then, but I need to find another location for them next year.  They were planted in a raised bed and since nasturtiums actually prefer a poor soil, they developed way too much greenery (it was kinda scary) and not many blossoms.  A less fertile soil will produce more blossoms and less greenery.

The rains continue to fall upon us and because the temps have been cooler, nothing seems to ever dry out.  Now we've been issued a flash flood warning for tonight so we'll be checking to see everything is battened down outside as we close up for the night.  

The fall rains have really impacted what one can accomplish outside this time of year.  Still, better than the threat of a dry fall and possible forest fires.

11 comments:

Michelle said...

It seems from this reader's point of view that rain is pretty much all you've gotten this year – it's amazing your garden produced anything!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I though we'd get some rain this week, but not yet. It would sure make digging up my potatoes much easier. I bet those hens will enjoy that produce. Mine always do. I shall have to plant mangels for them next spring too. Thanks for sharing that.

Sandy Livesay said...

Mama Pea,

Everything is better than having fires and drought....right :-)

Nice size turnips and mangels. Are mangels another type of turnip? Have you ever tried pasty's commonly found in the upper peninsula of MI. Loved those things when growing up as a kid. Most people call them hand held meat pies. We would add turnips to our pies with other veggies, and of course a meat.

Hugs,
Sandy

Susan said...

Excuse me? I believe we have somehow gotten your weather and you've gotten ours. Want to swap? You may not, however, want the extremely early frosts we have had...

Mama Pea said...

Michelle - You got that right! Let's just say I haven't had to spend a lot of time hand watering!

Thankfully the field garden has good drainage and the raised beds do, too. Seems more than the over abundance of rain this growing season was the lack of sunshine that caused what failures we did have.

Mama Pea said...

Kristina - You could use rain to make digging your potatoes easier and I'm dreading the MUD that ours will be caked with! Feast or famine, eh?

Mama Pea said...

Sandy - I'm sure mangels are closely related to turnips, but are used primarily as livestock feed.

I've only tasted pasties once and they were dry and (I thought) tasteless, but I'm sure it was just the one I had as they are a real favorite for many of the Scandinavian folks around here. I've always wanted to make some myself, but haven't gotten around to it. Yet.

Mama Pea said...

Susan - Yep, you can keep your early frosts (ours will come soon enough) but it would be nice to even out the warmth and coolness and rain and sunshine!

MrsDuncanMahogany said...

We had a bunch of rain on Sunday and the skies are threatening again today to do the same. We just can't escape it. And this weekend is the Canadian Thanksgiving and as we travel to the cottage guess what they are predicting for the days ahead? Yep! RAIN. Ugh. We cannot escape it this fall. No matter how hard we try. I wish for you a sunny, extended autumn!

Mama Pea said...

MrsDM - Happy Thanksgiving! Sure hope the weather cooperates for your time at the cottage.

What are we going to do if all this rain just continues into the months ahead and becomes . . . snow!?

I, like you, am wishing that our weather patterns turn and we get to enjoy an ideal, sunny, extended autumn! Fingers crossed . . .

Rain said...

Hi Mama Pea :) I think the "Invisible Man" is trying to steal your turnips...that's what it looks like to me from the photo lol! :)

Oh your orange pumpkin...mine are still trying to figure out if they'll turn orange or not! Your flowers are gorgeous. Ours just never blossomed, only the wild flower mix. I still have seeds I'll plant next year, so I hope they have a better chance!