All summer I made kimchi using cucumbers as the bulk of the ingredients. We loved the flavor, but obviously there are currently no cucumbers available from the garden. However, we do still have heads of cabbage in the root cellar so I suggested she make the kimchi substituting chopped cabbage for the cukes. Now we have only to wait a couple more days while it ferments on the counter before taste testing it.
In the last two days, we (mostly through Chicken Mama's efforts) have produced 11-1/2 quarts of applesauce, the 2 quarts of (hopefully yummy) kimchi, and 16 half-pint jars of apple
Yep, sad to say, the jelly did not jell. After thinking it over, I'm sure it happened because we used only 1/3 the amount of sugar the recipe called for.
I always cut the amount of sugar in any jams I make and, granted, they never come out very thick, and sometimes rather on the thin side. But I rationalize saying less sugar ingested is healthier for us and if the jam stays on the slice of bread, I call it good.
In deciding how much sugar to add to the apple juice yesterday, she added the third of what was called for, we tasted it and declared it quite sweet so stopped there. But, alas and alack, it just wasn't enough sugar in ratio to the juice to get the mixture to jell properly. So we have a good quantity of . . . apple syrup.
Pancakes shall appear on our menu soon so we can start using the apple syrup. And I have a feeling it's gonna be goooood!