Friday, August 26, 2016

Geese

This morning I walked around to the far side of the pond to see if I could get pictures of the geese and ducks paddling around.


Some of the geese were the only ones in evidence.  Upon noticing a big, bad figure stalking around the outside of the fence, they immediately set up a "Danger, danger, stranger danger!" squawking.
 


When I started talking to them, and they recognized my voice, they came right over to me . . .


. . . to see if I had any food say hello.

The pond is going down, down, down and sadly needs a fresh infusion of water.  We've had no rain for a while now, but there's the possibility of some tomorrow . . . fingers crossed.  The water fowl and the garden would welcome it.

I'm elated to report that our day time temperatures have dropped quite a bit in the last day or so, the humidity is lessening and sleeping at night has once again become comfortable.  Hooray for this first little glimpse of autumnal weather! 

10 comments:

Sue said...

Oh, come on--you know they just want to say hello! Food has nothing to do with it!
What joy. I just adore your feathered friends.
And I'm glad you're getting the cooler weather.
This morning is 57 degrees at 3 am (yes-you know me!!-best part of the day!!!)
And they're calling for rain!!-so let's see. Rain. Cool temps. Yup--soup pot!
Have a terrific day, Mama Pea

Katie C. said...

Ha Sue! Ducks around here take a finger or two the little piggies ��

We also had a brief respite for the heat and humidity but yesterday, BAM, it's baaaaack! I need to go do some weeding. We slept in today so it's going to be sweaty blah.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

We are still getting hot temps here, but my tomatoes need it. I need more than I'm getting, but looking forward to cool fall days and nights too.

Fiona said...

What a lovely sight....waterfowl on a pond. We cannot let ours know about the pond because of the snapping turtles. We have been trying to shoot them [dual purpose, meat and a safe pond] but this weather means they rarely leave the mud and water. Your geese look awesome!

Mama Pea said...

Sue - We slept last night with a quilt! Wahoo! I love these cooler temps . .. but it's still humid feeling out there today. Rain is in the forecast so maybe the humidity will turn to rain drops. Hope so. Stay cool now, my friend, and enjoy the "sweatshirt" weather. My favorite!

Mama Pea said...

Katie C. - Those who sleep in these days . . . must sweat! How true. Hope your cooler weather arrives for good soon!

Mama Pea said...

Kristina - I know what you're saying. Most crops in my garden have done fantastically this season and I know it's because of the unusual heat . . . and humidity. Now that our weather seems to be getting cooler (and more like normal), I'm thinking of things out there that will stop growing!

Mama Pea said...

Fiona - Thank you! Oh no, snapping turtles. Not good. Sure hope none ever decide to make our little pond their home.

Rain said...

Your birds are so nice! Do you only use rain water to fill the pond? We're supposed to be getting rain all day tomorrow too, so the house will be clean two weeks in a row, imagine? :)

Mama Pea said...

Rain - Unfortunately, our pond isn't spring fed so the only way to get water in it is, as you suggested, rain water. Our property goes up steeply in back of us so what rain that isn't soaked into the ground on the way down ends up in our pond. We've been short on rain lately and the heat has caused a lot of evaporation from the pond. Rain all day tomorrow for you? We'd take that here . . . along with some house cleaning! ;o)