Saturday, May 7, 2016

The Days of Moaning Muscles

Lots of work outside the past few days.

Moved piles of dirt from last fall's excavation for the grow house which will be built over dwarf fruit trees before the end of summer arrives.

Weeded all of the raised beds in preparation for planting. 

Planted out one raised bed with lettuce and covered with a cold frame to ward off chilblains these cold nights.  (Up until two nights ago, we were still getting frost over night.)

Experimented with planting one bed of onions earlier than usual.  No cold frame.  They're on their own.

Planted three rows of kale seed in the chive bed.  No cold frame, but good ol' kale is quite frost hardy.  If the seeds survive to sprout, that is.

Planted my Sweet Pea flower seeds.  They take forever to germinate and aren't bothered by light frost anyway.

Transplanted some comfrey plants.

Gave the blueberry bushes a slight pruning (after extensive pruning last year) and weeded their patch.

Moved four goslings and their house to new spot.  (Again.)  Can hardly keep them in grass.  They graze constantly favoring grass over any other food.

With Papa Pea's able assistance, pruned the raspberries and put new support ties in place for the coming season.

Edged the strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, asparagus and field garden.  (That %&^* quack grass just loves garden soil and wants to move in!)


Got June bearing strawberries uncovered.  I made a big pile (two piles actually) of the winter mulch taken off the plants, and will use it in the garden in various spots.  Last night we had terrific winds which threatened to scatter the bigger pile to parts unknown so we ran out and put several cattle panels over the pile to hold it down.


Got the field garden completely tilled.


I hand-raked it level, and it's ready for planting.  Shell peas will be planted within the next couple of days.  Then the taters.


Weeded three long rows of strawberries.  Waiting for old growth from last year to wither and die off a bit more before cleaning up the debris and mulching for this season.  Probably should wait until it's a little warmer before mulching though.  Don't want to encourage the soil to stay cool.

No lack of things to do outside before the bugs make an appearance and I'll be forced to plan my time around their schedule.  When the bugs are too bothersome, I stay inside.  With my unfortunate trait of being the favorite food of any biting insect, I need to take advantage of this bug-less period and push, push, push on outside projects.  Regardless of whether my muscles are complaining a bit or not.

But bottom line, all the real progress being made feels very, very good!

28 comments:

Fiona said...

Do our muscles learn to complain more as we get older? Ralph came in the other day and groaned.....he had been power harrowing weeds in the potato patch!
You HAVE been busy but isn't is a good busy

Sue said...

Ya know-hubby and I were just talking the other day about how with the wonky climate--there will come a point we NEED to grow fruit under cover. Good idea. I lost ALL my super dwarf trees last June when we frosted on the 17th. There is no way one can predict anymore when it will do that. I USED to be able to plant the first week of June. I now watch the weather until the 7th to make sure the following week is doable. It's crazy.
Love your busy list. My dry erase board on the fridge is what keeps me straightened out and lately--it's not BIG enough to hold my daily lists. Ah, but I do so love it!
Have a fun and productive week, dear friend

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Oh my goodness, woman! Were you able to get out of bed this morning?? That's a lot of work, but I'll bet it feels good to get it done. -Jenn

DFW said...

Wow, you guys really have been busy. Smart to get all the hard stuff done while the weather & bugs cooperate.

Vera said...

My husband has taken charge of the veg plots this year. Hooray!!! I still need to do things outside, and will still have to cope with the harvests once they start, but at least I don't have to do everything, which up until last year, is what I was doing!

Katie C. said...

You must be aching. I know that I have. I have a small partial solution. I made flannel covered rice bags. Use the cheapest rice you can find. You heat them in the microwave for about two minutes and then apply then to your back. I usually have mine sandwiched between me and the back of the chair. It's better than a heating pad. Also, I've been known to bring one to bed for cold tootsies. ;-)

Nancy In Boise said...

Good job! I wish I had your space but my climate. It's going to be 75 today. I had to go to my chiropractor after moving furniture for our baby shower and then painting the house. Last Wed. (day I had the appt) I got up and felt like I'd been hit by a truck. An adjustment with acupuncture and I felt much better with in a day or 2. Too much in a short space of time, and some arthritis in my low back. But I survived!!! :)

Dawn said...

Its been a week of stiff backs and aching muscles here, you have got a lot of preparation done, I hope you reap plenty of good harvest rewards

Mama Pea said...

Fiona - There's no better tired than that you get from working outside in the fresh air doing physical work. Now if someone would just help me get up off this chair . . .

Mama Pea said...

Sue - Got lots more good stuff done outside today . . . wahoo! Yes, it is a great time of year even though The Lists don't fit on the paper or dry erase board!

It's so hard when the weather is so wonky you can't rely on anything anymore. Wha' happened?

Mama Pea said...

Jenn - I don't usually feel stiff or sore in the morning . . . it's just at the end of the day! :o]

Mama Pea said...

DFW - Yep, this time of year I simply cannot stay inside if the weather is good. I even started the day today with a knit hat on my head . . . but I was working enough that I warmed up very soon!

Mama Pea said...

Vera - Yay for helpful husbands! Mine helped me set up trellises and mark out rows for about an hour and a half this morning. Couldn't have done it without him.

Mama Pea said...

Katie C. - I've known other people who have used the heated rice bags, too. Clever idea. We've gotta do all we can to keep our bodies functioning top notch this time of year!

Mama Pea said...

LHinB - Ouch! Having arthritis in your lower back has got to hurt. My lower back is usually where I feel the strain too but (knock on wood) no arthritis.

P.S. You do just fine with the (relatively) little space you have for gardening. You're an inspiration to others who don't have much acreage.

Mama Pea said...

Dawn - This part of gardening (planting but not being able to see anything from your labor) is my least favorite. But once I see everything start to grow, I start looking forward to the harvests.

You take care of your stiff back and ouchy muscles, okay?

Mark said...

Good for you!! You're ahead me, and that is a lot of work. I do agree, though, that one feels pretty good about being tired and sore when you can look out and see something to show for it. And it only gets better when things start to come up.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Wow! You got so much done! So glad your weather finally gave you the chance to do it. You are going to have a wonderful season.

Mama Pea said...

Mark - I'm sure you've been getting a lot done, too, Mark. Can't see you avoiding getting out in the garden this time of year. Especially with your upcoming "lay-off!"

Mama Pea said...

Kristina - Our weather has still been cool, but very nice. No bugs yet . . . yay!! But we are dry, so you can feel free to send any of your extra rain our way.

Susan said...

I got onions and strawberries in and now they are predicting freeze/frost tonight. It's not fair. I am afraid my onions are on their own, too. Hidey Ho! I love the good night's sleep you get after a full day of labor. It's the best!

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Our weather changes back and forth! Grrrr. I cover my strawberries and put the cold frame cover down and bring in some flowers in pots if it gets too cold. Nancy

Laurie said...

Progress indeed! You have been a busy bee. I love to see what you're up to in the garden. You schedule around the bugs and I schedule around the heat. I'm a wimp! Lol!!

Mama Pea said...

Susan - 'Tis truly a hit and miss time of year for us northern-ish gardeners. We either get things in too early and suffer from late frost . . . or wait until it's good and warm and pay the price of immature crops come fall and early frost. Fun, isn't it?

I've been alternating between nights of sleeping like the dead because of all the physical exercise . . . and not being able to sleep because of all the physical exercise. Figure that one out.

Mama Pea said...

Nancy - My lettuces under a cold frame are probably getting stressed from the wind created by the top being put up and down, up and down, up and down!

Mama Pea said...

Laurie - Patiently waiting for more pictures of your lovely garden. Hint, hint. :o]

Optimistic Existentialist said...

WOW...I am sore just reading this post :) you deserve a 10 hour nap :)

Mama Pea said...

Optimistic Existentialist - No naps for this gal . . . they've never agreed with me. But I did sleep 10 hours last night! ;o}

P.S. You have a beautifully written blog!