Saturday, December 19, 2015

I Am So Proud

I am so proud of myself.  This year I am totally organized and ready for the holidays.  Just look at the list of what I have accomplished.

Early in 2015, I made a month by month list of all the handmade gifts I wanted to make and got each one done in the allotted time.  Such a satisfying feeling.

I had all my shopping done by Halloween.  Christmas gifts were wrapped within an hour of bringing them home.  No last minute rush of wrapping for me, oh-no.  And the carefully arranged display of the masterfully wrapped presents under the tree has been a sight to behold. 

I've baked an amazing assortment of luscious holiday cookies, candies and confections that have been packaged and sent off to relatives in various far-flung parts of the country.  I was so wise to have all the doughs made and in the freezer well before Thanksgiving.

I shopped months ago for some new holiday clothes for myself.  I bought red, I bought green, I splurged.  I bought several floor length skirts with matching festive tops and a lovely green brocade suit.  What a nice change from my usual navy and black turtlenecks and jeans.  Yes, I needed some new holiday clothes, and these will make me feel and look appropriate for the season.

For special friends, I hand crafted elaborate remembrances.  I have them all wrapped and ready for presentation.

I made two new wreaths with freshly gathered boughs and decorated them with ribbon, pine cones and berries.  The smaller is hung on the front door and the very impressive larger one is on the outside wall of the house you see when coming into our yard.  They look so lovely and professionally done.

Before putting up our Christmas tree and house decorations (immediately after Thanksgiving), I spent a week deep-cleaning the whole house, top to bottom.  Now when I take the decorations down after January 1st, the house will already be clean and ready for the New Year.

I purchased and/or made new decorations for my home replacing all those that were looking shabby and past their prime.  This gave my holiday decorating a sparkling new look and everyone asks if I hired an interior decorator.

In the coming weeks, I have a full calendar of dinner dates and casual get-togethers scheduled.  Invitations were sent out weeks ago.  (I made them myself, of course).  Menus are printed, foods have been prepared ahead and are in the freezer, holiday napkins and tablecloths are washed and ironed.  It will be no-hassle entertaining for me this year.

Oh, I am so proud.

* * * * * * * *

Ah, yes.  Sometimes reality necessitates we escape into our own little made-up fantasy world.  The truth is I've been operating under the influence of heavy brain fog for about a month now.

I read that extra doses of Ginkgo Biloba help clear your head.  I'd take some, but I can't remember where I put the bottle. 

38 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Ha ha, I am overwhelmed this month, and in no way prepared for anything as I had planned.

Sue said...

As I was reading this, I was thinking-my gawd, this woman is unreal.
Glad to find out you're still human! Come and join our party-no handmade invites needed!!
It's too lonely in the Land of Perfectioin
Have a relaxed and happy weekend, dear lady

Laurie said...

Lol! I was totally impressed and thinking....Super Woman, that's what she is. Try Vitamin D and B 12.

Mama Pea said...

Kristina - So, that's not the general state of being come this time of year? In no way prepared for anything as I had planned? :o]

Mama Pea said...

Sue - You should know me better than that!

Guess what? I'm taking today TOTALLY OFF! Not doing one blessed thing that I don't want to do. How's that for an early Christmas present for myself?? Wa-hoo!

Mama Pea said...

Laurie - I can assure you no Super Woman lives here! (And I'm on D and B12 already.) Actually, all kidding aside, I'm in pretty good shape for the holidays this year. That's 'cause I'm not even attempting 99% of the things in my blog post!

Mark said...

For a bit there I was afraid one us was going to have to go back the 20+ questions post and edit the answer about what we had been smoking!

I recall one year, in 33 years of marriage, where I had my Christmas gifts done before Thanksgiving. The rest of the years I've made it before Christmas but sometimes only just. Hang in there and don't let it get you down!

Michelle said...

Oh, good. I was afraid one of us was going to have to shoot you. ;-)

SmartAlex said...

Good Job! I've had years like that. This is not one of them :)

DFW said...

I didn't even make a list of presents to purchase until the week after Thanksgiving. Going to buy gift cards today at the local grocery store & then finish up the wrapping, or putting in gift bags. That's cheating in my book but I do it anyways. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Oh how I love this, I'm just preparing cards for the mail. Love you sense of humor. Thank you for the satire.
Sandy in the mtns. of CA

Mama Pea said...

Mark - Actually, I'm a little worried because I'm so non-stressed this year . . . and haven't done nearly as much as I usually do! (With age comes wisdom?? Nah, that can't be it.)

Mama Pea said...

Michelle - And well deserved it would be!!!

Mama Pea said...

SmartAlex - Personally, I've NEVER had a year like that. You must share your secrets! :o]

Mama Pea said...

DFW - Cheating? Cheating?? Doing it the sane way is never cheating! Keep on!

Mama Pea said...

Sandy - You're very welcome. It's the humor that keeps us all going this time of year, right?

Content in a Cottage said...

Wow. My Christmas readiness is exactly the opposite of yours. I didn't do anything until yesterday. I gave myself one week to move mountains. So far, so good.
Have the best Christmas ever or are you already working on Easter?
xo, Rosemary

Mama Pea said...

Rosemary - Are you pulling my leg? I was pulling yours! :o}

SmartAlex said...

Make a list. Start in July. Run yourself ragged

Mama Pea said...

SmartAlex - Why do we women, who seem to be the ones "in charge" of Christmas, do that to ourselves? I'm all for cutting back, sticking with the basics and remembering the reason for the season. And being kind to each other, especially ourselves! :o]

Rain said...

Best laid plans, nice fantasy :)
At the beginning of December I was overwhelmed with lists on post-it's, pieces of notepads, my online calendar, "reminder" emails...too much all over the place! I decided I'm going old school so I pulled out an old Hilroy notepad and dedicated a page to each day from December 15th through to January 2nd. I went through all of my lists (I think) and added tasks to each day. That's the best I can do to organize my time and tasks and it's actually working really well for me! I'm going to keep that up for every holiday that comes up, or I plan too!

RockWhisperer said...

I almost didn't read this post all the way to the end because I just couldn't relate. Heh!

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

I have to admit, I was gritting my teeth and rolling my eyes part-way into that post. So glad you revealed the truth at the end. We only just decorated the tree and right now my unwrapped presents are sitting underneath a comforter in the spare bedroom! -Jenn

Mama Pea said...

Rain - I think all lists (or tasks to be done) at least look more manageable (!) if they are broken down the way you did it. Smart idea doing it your way. Thanks for the idea.

Mama Pea said...

Ilene Jones - I could never relate to all that either. That's why it was my fantasy! ;o} Thanks for slogging on through!

Mama Pea said...

Jenn - The ONE thing I have managed to feel on top of this year is wrapping packages. One more to do today and I'm caught up. Usually that's not the case!

P.S. Now go attack that pile of presents under the comforter . . . or curl up for a little nap under the comforter first. Maybe no one will know where you are. ;o)

gld said...

I was getting very disgusted with your post and towards the end, I began to think maybe you were exaggerating just a tad!

Thank goodness!

Mama Pea said...

gld - Hee-hee! I think we've all known a person or two who are actually like that. It would be extremely admirable IF they weren't the same ones who have a need to brag about it so everyone knows just how fantastically awesome they are! :o]

Mollie said...

Ha ha, me too! I was getting anxious just reading it!

Mollie said...

Maybe Duchess of Cambridge could write that and it would be true! Clap, clap: where is my chef.
Clap, clap: where is the nanny!?
Clap, clap: where is my personal assistant?
Clap, clap: where is my gift buyer?
ad nauseum.

Mollie said...

You're a great writer, Mama Pea! While I was exhausted and jealous of all you "had done" it was straight out of some high-falutin' magazine that makes the readers feel like big under performers. Have you ever written for a magazine?!! Some year I think just going to a country that doesn't even recognize Dec.25th as a holiday would be refreshing. A SAFE country, thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

Mama Pea is very industrious, efficient, and organized. But, she is no Martha Stewart want-a-be (thank God)!! There is a big difference between the two ladies MO's (mode of operations). Mama Pea strives for perfection and KNOWS HOW AND WHEN to settle for excellence (or just very good or even good)!! The wisdom to know when to be still and be satisfied with your work is what Mama Pea has attained! God Bless you Mama and Papa Pea and Merry Christmas. M. in Paradox.

Leigh said...

Oh Mama Pea, you never fail to brighten my day!

Mama Pea said...

Mollie - I have done a darn good job of "scaling down" more than ever this holiday season, and it feels good . . . where in other years, I've felt slovenly (!) for not pushing myself. (Maybe there is something to getting wiser as one gets older?) ;o}

I did write for a locally published women's magazine years ago. I wrote a nutrition/foods column but what I really wanted to write was what I'm able to do here on my posts. Much more fun!

Mama Pea said...

Dear, dear (silly) M in Paradox - I would have thought you've known me long enough to realize all those (extremely) flattering things you just said about me are pure poppycock!

All the same, thank you and bless you for being so darn sweet. Happy Holidays to you and your hubby!

Mama Pea said...

Leigh - Thank you, thank you! Just attempting to give back what so many folks give to me.

P.S. We spent a couple of hours last night reading aloud from your "Critter Tales." Soooo much info that you so readily share with others! When I think of the hours (days? weeks? months?) it took to put all that together . . . oy! Don't know how you find the time. (But don't stop!)

Susan said...

What Sue said. I thought, OMG, she is superhuman! I was so relieved... :)

Mama Pea said...

Susan - Oh, yeah, that's me: Wonder Woman. I wonder where I put my glasses? I wonder why I came into this room? I wonder if anyone will notice if I serve PB&J sandwiches for Christmas Eve dinner? I wonder if it's okay to wear this warm turtleneck (with the grease spots on it) on Christmas Day? (Hee-hee-hee!)