Monday, August 10, 2015

My Day . . . So Far

This has been a fairly typical summer Monday.  Got our usual weekly laundry done and will glide through the ironing after dinner tonight.

Papa Pea got a really good start on the walkway off the new deck and work on the front foundation of our quasi-greenhouse.  I call it our "quasi-greenhouse" because we've never used it for an actual greenhouse as we originally thought we would.  It's permanent use/designation is still to be decided.


Our friend and lady carpenter, B, was here for a time to lend her expertise and suggestions on the construction and best way to tie things together.

This morning I picked a huge amount of edible podded peas.  We've had many more than we can eat so I've been giving about every other picking of them away.  I did freeze a lot last year, but wasn't pleased with the way they came out when cooked (limp) so I'm not going to do that again.  Methinks I should make a note to myself to plant only half as many next year.


Our daughter has a friend who doesn't garden but loves zucchini, BIG zucchini, so I always let a couple/few get over-sized for her.  These are three of the monsters that went to her today.  That's my morning mugga caffeine in the picture for comparison.  They added up to just under 25 pounds.

I ripped out some bolted spinach and lettuce and also some purple top turnips I had planted on a whim earlier this season.  The turnip tops were gargantuan, but the biggest turnip was only about golf ball size.  The problem was that the greens were taking over some peas on one side and kale on the other so into the bag they went with the rest of the excess greens for our daughter to take to her chickens.  Our own chickens are so full of lush greenery this time of year that they run the other way when they see me coming with garden gleanings.

I harvested 6-1/2 cups of blueberries putting a little over a quart in the freezer and leaving the rest out for us to eat fresh.  The bushes are loaded with tons of unripe berries.  They've really just started coming in.

Also harvested another large and lovely cauliflower head which I blanced and put in the freezer.  Only one more head left in the garden.

I knew I needed to strip lower leaves off the Brussels sprout plants for the second time so I attacked that, too.


I was glad I had only this one row to do and not a whole field of them!


This is a before shot . . . 

. . . and after stripping off the leaves.  Doesn't look like the same plant, does it?  I'm thinking we're gonna have a really good Brussels sprout harvest this year.

About an hour ago, the wind came up and dark clouds blew in.  It stormed buckets for about five minutes, and then was gone.  But that brief deluge gave us 1/2" of rain in our gauge and was welcomed because the garden needed it.  Papa Pea had just put away all his tools for the day before it happened.  Great timing, I'd say.

Now I think I'll go find, Agnes, my maid and cook and see what she's planning for dinner.

17 comments:

Laurie said...

With all your garden fare, you could probably turn your quasi-greenhouse into storage with another couple of freezers. I love reading about your garden!

Michelle said...

Busy day. Have you ever made mock apple pie with zucchini ? It is so good and taste just like a apple pie. Great way to use up your zucchini.

Carolyn said...

Oh glorious brussels sprouts! One of my mostest favoritest vegetables and yours look beautiful!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I love the big zucchini. I quarter them long ways - scoop out all the seeds - then grind in the food processor - add chopped onions and make the best zucchini relish - you can't tell it isn't cucumbers.

Sue said...

Sob---how you taunt me with your excess peas!!
And blueberries.
I shall go cry now.............

Dawn said...

I love podded peas and I am freezing them, we have a good harvest this year, sprouts I adore ours wont be ready until winter over here and a good frost is suppose to improve there flavor. I am just starting to harvest Blueberries each picking is going into the freezer apart from the ones that pop into my mouth while harvesting :-)

Mama Pea said...

Laurie - Hubby would like to turn it into a "winter workshop" as we have only a one-car garage and try to keep one vehicle in there in our months of snowy/icy weather.

Thank you for saying you love reading about my garden. Each time I go on and on about it, I fear it's boringboringboring to others. But it does provide a year-to-year record for me which is helpful.

Mama Pea said...

Michelle - I've hear of mock apple pie made with zucchini but never made nor tasted it. Zucchini bread is also very good!

Mama Pea said...

Carolyn - Another smart person who loves Brussels sprouts! (Most people don't, ya know.) Ours sure were good last year and I'm hoping for the same this year. Cross you fingers. I'll put some in an envelope and send them to you!

Mama Pea said...

JoAnn - Yep, I have a wonderful recipe for Zucchini Relish, too. Sadly, I'm the only one in the family that is crazy about it. Sometimes I inflict it upon people as gifts though. :o)

Mama Pea said...

Sue - Ooooh, my poor baby . . .

Mama Pea said...

Dawn - Yes, our sprouts have a ways to go, too. A frost does improve the flavor.

I must admit I ate my share of blueberries out in the garden yesterday when I was picking. (Well, a little quality control is required, right?)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I wish I had that much garden work to do. Then again, maybe not, ha ha! It has been so humid here, that even picking a few tomatoes is a work day. I am considering not growing any squash next year, just to cut off the bug cycle.

Susan said...

I never knew you had a quasi-greenhouse! Things are coming along swimmingly!!! I do hope those Brussels sprouts will last into fall....

Mama Pea said...

Kristina - Squash bugs are something we've never been bothered by. (Knock, knock on wood!) Maybe not feeding them for one year will convince them to go elsewhere.

I made another batch of bread and butter pickles today and it's amazing how tiring doing up a batch for the canner can be. I feel like a nap now . . . but it's time to think of dinner.

Mama Pea said...

Susan - Well, it's kind of embarrassing to talk about our "greenhouse" when so far all we've done with it is use it for storage!

The Brussels sprouts may still be in the garden in October!

Bateman Homestead said...

Love those brussel sprouts! I will be trying to grow them this coming year. I love to eat them.

http://batemanhomestead.weebly.com/