Monday, April 14, 2014

I've Been Bad

Yes, I have been a very bad blogger lately.  Lots of pictures taken and things I could have written about, but I think my head has been too full of spring/summer plans . . . the planning, the thinking, the trying to figure out how to accomplish everything both time-wise and financially . . . that I just haven't made time for blogging.  Mini-panic setting in already.  

Yep, blame it on the time of year.  I do promise to try to be better this week.

Hubby and I were standing inside looking out at the garden beds (yes, we can actually see them now) early this morning.  I was explaining why I needed the one raised bed frame we didn't get replaced last season replaced pronto this spring (long story, not very interesting) when we noticed several crows doing aerial acrobatics over the garden.  Swooping, diving, soaring, etc.  

Then I noticed the slight movement of a remaining clump of snow in between a couple of the beds.


Lo and behold, it was a Snowy Owl perched on the ground, and the crows were giving it a hard time.  (Owl didn't seem fazed a bit.)  At first we thought the owl might be injured, but it turns out that was not the case at all.  I looked Snowy Owls up in one of our bird books and it said they do occasionally perch on the ground.  Wonder if he saw a mouse tunneling in the snow and was waiting for it to re-emerge and become his breakfast burrito?

"You lookin' at me?"

These beauties (the owl, not the mice) are nearly two feet high and have a wing span that is quite impressive.  He stayed around the area, going from one spot to another for about an hour.  (Good thing our chickens aren't out and about yet.)  What a beautiful bird and a treat to get to see him.

11 comments:

DFW said...

Oh my, what I would love to see a Snowy Owl! Just beautiful.

LindaCO said...

Super cool! What a treat to see such a magnificent bird.

Sparkless said...

Amazing! Nothing better than getting to view some wildlife outside your very window.

Carolyn said...

Wow! I don't envy your snow, but the wildlife you have up there is truly amazing.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful to see the snowy owl. It is giving a wonderful pose for you!

Sue said...

Lucky you!! Oh, he's gorgeous. I've only seen one once in my life--flying directly overhead--he turned and looked right at me. It was magical and I'll never forget it.
You're so fortunate to have been able to take a picture.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

What a neat photo moment. Glad you chickens were not out. We had a great horned owl get into our coop one night.

Tarah said...

How beautiful! He really blends into the snow. I hope he got his mouse supper. Good picture!

Lisa said...

What a fantastic opportunity! We hear hoot owls 'round here, but never seen a real one, much less be able to get a photo! Thank you for sharing your beauty with the rest of us!! And btw, there is no way you are a 'bad blogger'!!

Sandy Livesay said...

Mama Pea,

OMG, what a pleasure to have one of these beautiful creatures land in your garden area and strike a pose :-) for the camera!!!

Anonymous said...

Amazing photos!! How cool to see it!

http://caffeinatedhomestead.weebly.com/blog.html