Friday, March 28, 2014

Biding My Time (Happily)

While most of the rest of you are tending hundreds of seedlings inside under grow-lights, planting cold weather crops out in your garden and celebrating the new animal births on the homestead, I'm watching the trunks of the apple trees disappear (once again) under new snow cover.

We had a smidge bit of melting (mostly through evaporation, I think) in the last couple of weeks and our snow was looking old and ready (we were only hoping) to pack its bags and totter on out of here.  But in the last week we've gotten new snow.  Many inches of new snow.

At least our temps have been in the 20s during the day so it doesn't feel so much like living in the Arctic anymore.  The snows have been wet and are coating the branches of our many evergreen trees creating a picture postcard scene.  (Funny, though, how it's not quite as beautiful and entrancing at it was back in November and December.)

I've been taking advantage of not being able to be outside doing spring things quite yet.

I'm almost finished doing the hand quilting on a new spring wall hanging for the kitchen.  No pictures until I'm done though.


A couple of days ago I finished this multi-colored rug crocheted with heavy rug yarn. (Yes, I do love color.  Why do you ask?)  I got hold of some cotton/rayon blend yarn that I've used before which wears extremely well, washes in the washing machine beautifully and doesn't take a week and a half to dry.  I'm thinking of making another matching one and using them on either side of our bed to replace the ugly-bugly purchased ones that have seen better days.  This new rug measures 21" x 34".

I've also started an oval one in colors to match my new spring shower curtain which will go in the bathroom in front of the sink.


And here's the rug I made out of that less-than-nice polyester rug yarn I found in a stored away stash a couple of weeks ago.  (That stuff is like trying to crochet with baling twine.  Ish.)  Don't cha think its place in front of the washer in the garage classes up the area tremendously?  It's the little things that make me happy.

23 comments:

Unknown said...

Hoping for spring for you, snow-less! Sent off a pic to you a few minutes ago:)

Susan said...

I find it quite amazing that, not only do you maintain your cool (pun intended) whilst being still caught in the grip of winter, but you get so darn much accomplished! No moss growing under your jodhpurs, that's for sure! You have now successfully shamed me into finishing my potholder rug that has been 'in progress' for just under two years. Shame on me.... :)

Sparkless said...

Well you sure are keeping yourself well occupied while the weather is having a fit of confusion. Spring is coming but I'm sorry to say it will be short because summer is on her way now.

LindaCO said...

Love the rectangular rug especially. Lots of color with a heather effect = less dirt showing. Score!!

Cat Eye Cottage said...

I love that multi-colored rug! Yes, I'm one of those people who are potting seedlings in the greenhouse and getting ready to plant my summer garden in a few weeks. At this moment, I don't envy your weather, but come August, I'll be changing my tune for sure!

Mama Pea said...

Little Homestead in Boise - Got the picture. So much fun to see it on your bulletin board! Thanks.

Mama Pea said...

Susan - Oh, how I wanted a pair of jodhpurs when I was 8, 9 or 10! Never got them. (Yes, I led a very disadvantaged childhood. ;o} ) Heck, a project that is only two years old is nothing. I have a sweater that is unfinished that I started in 1963. True.

Mama Pea said...

Sparkless - That is so true for us up here. We rarely get what feels like a real spring; we go from winter into summer. Bah-humbug!

Mama Pea said...

LindaCO - Ah, I see you saw right through my plan. Throw in lots of color and less dirt will be visible!

Mama Pea said...

The Weekend Homesteader - Hubby and I were working cleaning/sorting/straightening our feed room this morning and it was downright cold in there. (It stays cool even when it's warm outside.) We commented that we should be doing it in mid-summer when we wanted a cool place to be! So, yes, no matter what we will be cooler than you come August!

Michelle said...

I am crocheting a rug out of left over quilt binding and ugly fabric . I haven't tried the yarn yet, but I am planning on doing some.

Sunnybrook Farm said...

We were at 19 degrees several mornings ago so I have not been in a big hurry and just got my seed starting stuff together today. Plenty of time as tomatoes like warm ground, I can almost plant seeds directly in the garden when it is warm and have them take off like plants that had been growing for weeks.

Sandy Livesay said...

Mama Pea,

Keeping yourself occupied inside while it snows will help the time pass.

RockWhisperer said...

Great job on the rugs! I love color too.

Mama Pea said...

Michelle - I got a chuckle when you said you're doing a rug out of left over quilt binding and "ugly fabric." I've done that! And it made a mighty fine rug!!

Mama Pea said...

Sunnybrook Farm - I'm sure you can do that in your area -- plant seeds directly in the ground rather than starting them inside. A lot of years I'd be far ahead doing that, too, rather than having them grow long and spindly before I can get them outside. When you think about it, we're forcing the little seedlings to grow in an "unnatural" environment when asking them to grow big and strong inside!

Mama Pea said...

Sandy - No matter what's going on, inside or out, I never have slow days. Hubby and I try to sit in the living room together the last thing at night and read or talk or whatever and many nights one of us will say we don't want the day to end yet. Our days are just too short!

Mama Pea said...

Thanks, Ilene!

Anonymous said...

I love the rugs!! Do you use anything under them to keep them from slipping? I seem to have that problem with homemade rugs.

http://caffeinatedhomestead.weebly.com/blog.html

Mama Pea said...

Stephanie - It all seems to depend on 1) the material the rug is made of, and 2) the surface on which it is placed. I do use that flexible rubber (kinda waffle weave stuff) that they sell for rug backings and/or lining shelves.

P.S. I just left you a comment on your most recent post and kept getting a message that it could not be sent . . . so I kept trying and trying . . . and now I see it showed up in your comment section about 117 times! Ugh. Please feel free to clean it up by deleting the unnecessary replies! Geesh!

Lisa said...

Gorgeous rectangular rug! At first glance I thought you'd woven it, as the yarn crocheted into such a pretty woven-looking variegation. And your oval rug pretties up your laundry area so lovely. And Yes!, it is the little things that do count! Absolutely! I so want to make one of your rugs.... one day. They are all lovely.
PS Sorry, but cannot comprehend 'snow' and 'snowing' in-almost April here. And yes, cold, snow, ice and sleet are much more appreciated in November/December! We had a system more through our area last week with a possibility of snow flurries (we got none), and all of us were saying, 'please no'... and our area gets so little of the pretty fluffy white stuff, that usually we're the most enthusiastic of those forecasts!!!!! Stay warm - enjoy your fire!!

Anonymous said...

No worries Mama Pea!

Mama Pea said...

Lisa - Thank you! I've never, ever done any weaving although I've always admired those who do so. I know I am enjoying an "addiction" to making these rugs out of the heavy duty rug yarn by crocheting. I can hardly wait to finish one to start another one. (Do I need help?)

We're feeling nearly spring-like here today. Temp above freezing (just barely) but lots of sunshine. I have windows cracked and the front door facing south propped open. It feels so good!