Our day was quiet but profitable. Progress in our never-ending remodeling was made.
Mostly for the past couple of weeks, we've not been working inside the house but rather working on getting the interior of the garage finished. That, in itself, seems a project that just may go on forever, but I know that's not really the case. (Pul-eeze tell me it's not the case.)
We've gotten the three-sided storage area on the back end of the garage completely closed in now with a wall and good, stout door.
This little room will be primarily for storage of our generator.
Today we decided to tackle getting the wood stove back into the house and hooked up in the living room. (I know it's hard to imagine that it will be cold and we'll want to use it someday despite the fact that we currently feel we'll never again long for the warmth of a cozy wood fire.)
The stove is an air-tight, solid cast iron one and after today I'm convinced it weighs about 2,000 pounds. Actually, the weight is closer to 300 pounds but after having to man(andwoman)handle it today, who cares? It felt like 2,000 pounds.
It may look like it would have been an easy project but it was quite the feat getting the stove not just through the whole house and into this corner of the living room, but then maneuvering it into just the right spot so the stovepipe, when hooked up, was level side to side and front to back. I can't begin to count how many times we moved it a quarter inch this way, a half inch that way.
Whether it's perfectly placed now or not, that's where it's going to stay! Cross that item off our list. Whew.
I took a slow tour of the garden this morning and found no army worms. But I did find another variegated cutworm on the same peas that we found the other ones yesterday. I made myself (wearing gloves) remove the worm, throw him on the ground and smoosh him completely. Utterly. Totally. Nuthin' resembling a worm left.
I had a very nice note from a blog friend in Wisconsin saying she had a terrible variegated cutworm infestation about a month ago. She's had success eradicating the buggers from her flowers and veggies using spinosad, a biological pesticide.
I could have picked strawberries again today but put that off until tomorrow so we could work on the stove project. Good thing I'll have something to do tomorrow!
The Great Worcester Maise Maze
4 hours ago