Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Good Day's Progress

With B's help, we got the 4 x 8' sheets of bead board up on the living room ceiling today. It was a horrendous job (as any job working over your head tends to be), but it went well.

This is the only corner left to do and the piece is already cut so it can be glued and nailed up first thing tomorrow.

Here you can see the two "dead men" we built to help hold up the sheets while we nailed them. Actually, we got into a discussion as to why these helpers should be called "dead MEN." Why not "dead women?" Women can do just as good a job as men, right? (Poor Papa Pea is always out-numbered when B comes in to help.) This lively discussion continued when I left to go get a sample to show B of the flooring and tile for under the wood stove we had brought home from our supply trip on Tuesday. Don't ask me how it happened (B and hubby may well have been sniffing too much of the glue), but when I returned the two "dead women" had been officially christened Geraldine and Meredith in memory of two of Papa Pea's old girlfriends.

Being in charge of moving the "dead women" around, handing B or Papa Pea the nail gun, moving big pieces of furniture we had to leave in the room, and generally being the gofer, I didn't work as hard as anyone else. Here I am adjusting Geraldine . . . or maybe it's Meredith. I never did figure out which one was which.

B and hubby used the nail gun to secure the panels which was not easy. Nor was wrestling the 4 x 8' sheets into place after one side was heavily smeared with glue.

Tomorrow if the construction gods smile upon us, we'll finish the bead board, disconnect the wood stove and install the square of fiber cement (fireproof) board around the stove pipe, attach the grid work to cover the joints of the bead board and get the trim on the walls around the ceiling. Or maybe not. But we'll give it our best no matter what.

15 comments:

Patty said...

That's looking great! Good work, all of you. I like that ceiling idea.

Brother Pea said...

I don't remember Geraldine or Meredith. I think he might have just made them up!!!

Judy T said...

Looking good!! You got a lot accomplished today! Congrats! You will all sleep well tonight!
Judy

dr momi said...

....my neck hurts just looking at that last picture! And....I think B and Papa Pea were breathing in too many fumes LOL!

Sparkless said...

And once that's all done what chore will you two be working on? You both amaze me with your vim and vigor.

Sue said...

Don't underestimate your job in all of this. Having someone to do all the odd jobs saves so much time and gets the over-all job done much quicker. You know, so you can get into the garden and get all THAT stuff done. Yea. It's that time of year............

judy said...

bead board is my favorite ,I have a dresser/ cabinet behind me in the dining area,but it needs a make-over. Did Meridith and Geraldine come up from the depth of a good book,maybe 17 century one ,have not heard those names in a while and I don't believe there was ever anyone in papa peas life besides you( Cary Grant told me so( muhahaha)AND IF YOUR LIFE WAS NOT HAUNTED WITH A CERTAIN FAMOUS QUOTE ,I WAS TMI ? will everything be ready for my visit in 2 weeks---gotya ,boy why didn't I think of that one on april fools day?

Mama Pea said...

Patty - I'm really happy with the way it's turning out. Hope to have another update tonight.

Judy - We did sleep well last night. But let me tell ya, this morning came MUCH too soon! Ugh.

dr momi - We had lots of windows open (which made it a little cool in the house but since the work was up by the ceiling that level was a good temp!) to help with the fumes of the glue and general out-gassing of new materials but there was a bit of silliness so you may be correct in your assumptions!

Sparkless - Next comes the fireproof wall material behind the wood stove (Z-Brick) and tile on the floor under the stove. Then the flooring and the living room will be done! Don't be too amazed by our "vim and vigor." My vim and vigor has left the building this morning!!!!!

Sue - I would rather work in the garden all day every day than do this remodeling stuff. (Have I mentioned I don't like remodeling? I would NOT be one to choose to buy old houses, remodel them, and sell them for profit. There would be no profit in it for me!)

judy - In two weeks I'll be ready for the Funny Farm and a loooong rest. Unfortunately, the long rest will not be a reality. The other may be.

Mama Pea said...

Brother Pea - WHAT??!! And all these years, I've been trying to live up to their so-called fabulous attributes!! ;o}

Anonymous said...

It looks wonderful! Love that it is white, reflecting more light and making the room brighter (are you leaving it white?). Great job, even with the ex gf's helping (hehe).

Mama Pea said...

Stephanie - The bead board has a primer coat of white on it so will need another finishing coat or two. Plus I'll have to paint the grid boards to match. Haven't decided if it will be white-white (as are all our other ceilings that I'm very happy with) or if I'll put a titch of cream in the white. At any rate, it will definitely stay very light and bright.

Don't tell them yet, but Geraldine and Meredith are going to be disassembled today, never to be seen again!

Erin said...

Looks great! LOL on Papa Pea's choice of naming them!!

Anonymous said...

That beadboard is looking good! 'Really brightens up the room too. I never heard of a "dead man". What a handy tip! Yep, we're never too old to learn new things from wise folks such as yourselves!-"M"

Claire said...

Loved seeing these pictures, especially because we are hoping to put up some bead board in a few places around our house and we'd been wondering how to do it. I didn't realize glue was involved as well as nails! As for the "dead women," I'm thinking Gwendolyn and Leticia. :)

Mama Pea said...

Erin - Thanks! Who says adults can't get pretty silly at times? (And there was no alcohol involved.)

"M" - And that "new" thing (the dead men) wasn't even related to all the new stuff we are forced to learn because of our run-away technological world!

Claire - We put this same bead board on the walls of the stairway going up to hubby's office and it didn't require glue there. We used it on the ceiling as extra precaution that the 4 x 8' sheets didn't fall down due to gravity! (Hmmm, Gwendolyn and Leticia . . . I like your choice. We may end up having a whole group of "dead women" in the community at this rate!)