Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Only Because You Made Me Do It . . .

APPLE SLICES

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter
1 beaten egg yolk
1/2 cup milk
8-10 (depends on size) apples peeled, cored and sliced (I don't count, but rather just fill a medium sized bowl)
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Pats of butter
1 beaten egg white
Sugar/Cinnamon mixture

Mix flour and salt; cut in butter with a pastry blender. Add egg yolk and milk and mix with a fork until blended and mixture sticks together.

Divide dough in half and roll one half out on a floured surface to fit the bottom and up the sides of a cookie sheet with a lip. (My baking sheet/pan is 16-1/2" x 10-1/2".)

Add the sliced apples which have been mixed with the sugar and cinnamon. Spread out evenly on bottom crust. Add small pats of butter distributed evenly over apples.

Roll out remaining crust and lay over top of apples. Crimp edges. Spread egg white over top. Slit and sprinkle with sugar/cinnamon mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 40-45 minutes. After Apples Slices have cooled, drizzle with powdered sugar frosting.

Warning: Dough is very tender and tears easily. Also sticks to surface you're working on so as I'm rolling it out, I have to keep picking it up and dusting with more flour on surface and on rolling pin. Be prepared to utter some bad words, if only in your head. A pain in the patoot . . . but worth it.

15 comments:

Jo said...

Hooray! Never underestimate the power of begging and pleading! ;)

Jenyfer Matthews said...

What I want to know is where do you find the time to do all this baking / gardening / preserving????

Erin said...

Thank you! I have "issues" with dough, but this looks good enough that I will put my issues aside!

Mama Pea said...

Jo - Did you learn that from your kids? ;o)

Jen - Finding time . . . I feel a blog post coming on. [It'll probably be boring, but I think I need to get it out. :o)]

Erin - Lordy, lordy, woman, I have all the faith in the world that if there is something you want to do, you'll do it!!

The Apple Pie Gal said...

Awe...thanks Mama! Glad you gave in so that we can scream and holler as we try it out!

So, how'd ya sleep last night?

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

Thank you MamaPea!

Mama Pea said...

Apple Pie Gal - Will you be my therapist?

Hubby had had a physically taxing day so he tottered off to bed a little before 10. I wanted to quilt, but didn't feel energized enough so I gathered the big stack of magazines and catalogs that has been accumulating on the corner of my desk and made myself comfy on the couch. After I fell asleep for the third time, I decided I had to go to bed. Time? 11:20pm. Knew there was a 6am alarm this morning. Woke at 5 hoping I hadn't slept through it. Back to sleep. Then heard it in reality at 6, got up and (so far) feel pretty darn good. Stay tuned.

Jane - Sure, you betcha. You're very welcome!

becky3086 said...

I'm not looking..I'm not looking! LOL

Mama Pea said...

Becky - You gave me my morning chuckle! Thanks. :o)

Unknown said...

Sounds yummy!

Leigh said...

What a treat this will be! Looks so yummy. Might make a good brunch item too.

Susan said...

I don't care how hard it is - I.Have.Got.To.Make.It.

Mama Pea said...

Cindy, Leigh and Susan - GO FOR IT! :o)

Jennifer Jo said...

So it's basically a pie...out of a pie pan and with a glaze on top, right? I'm smitten.

Mama Pea said...

JJ - Weelll, yeah, I guess you could say that. 'Cept I think of it as more of a "bar" dessert. Not nearly as much filling as you would get in a pie (maybe that's why I think one piece tastes like one more), and it definitely goes farther (more servings) than a pie. Cut in the right size pieces, you can even serve it as finger food . . . without plates or forks. New name: Apple Pie Bar Slices Dessert Made in a Flat Pan You Can Eat with Your Hands. ???