Monday, July 26, 2010

Draggin' My Wagon

Not feeling too perky this first day of the week. Trying to analyze why.

1. Haven't been sleeping really well because of the heat.

2. Family and legal kafuffles going on that have sapped time and energy.

3. Garden produce is coming in at an alarming rate and needs to be processed and put by. There's something to tend to every day. This is a good thing, but takes big chunks of time out of an already busy day.

4. Becoming frustrated that our remodeling isn't progressing at near the pace we want it to. Hit a snag where hubby and I both need to sit down and do some more planning and decision making. Can't seem to even fit that into the day.

5. Tried to beat the heat (ha!) by getting out to pick peas early this morning but think I succeeded in expending my whole day's worth of energy at the task.

6. Find myself very frustrated each summer when I have all this wonderful, fresh, luscious produce and fruit from the garden with which to create fantastic meals to tickle the taste buds and delight the palate, but it seems the only time spent in the kitchen is throwing together the quickest of meals or processing the bounty from the garden.

Okay, that's about as much time as I want to spend on what aren't really big enough problems to whine and complain about. I think I'm just suffering a slight case of summer doldrums and maybe working a little too hard. Rather than continuing to drag my lethargic, sun burnt, bug bitten body around into the evening hours, I think I'll hit the sack early and maybe even finish the book I'm currently reading.

12 comments:

Kim said...

sounds like it's time to call in reinforcements to work in the garden. maybe sending them home with some bounty will get them running to your aid.

Erin said...

I know exactly what you mean, sometimes I think we eat better dinners in the winter! It's all I can do to preserve or freeze what's coming in and no time to cook, but look at it this way, in the winter when we can spend an hour or two prepping dinners we have loads to choose from in the freezer or pantry! Sorry to hear about the other stuff, this too shall pass, right? The remodeling will get done, don't worry, my experience is that it goes in spurts, a flurry of activity and then nothing for awhile. I actually gave away my entire day's produce today, I just didn't have time for it with all the other work that needed to be done outside to ensure that the garden would keep producing! Definitely grab that book and put your feet up, work and worry will always be there, but the chance to rest may not! Hope you get an evening breeze through the windows tonight!

The Apple Pie Gal said...

It must have just been that day for everyone all around. Sorry to hear your are so beat with everything! xoxo

Sue said...

Ah, that wonderful time of the year, where its impossible to even find an hour to relax and actually ENJOY the day. You'll note what time this is being written. I drag my sorry butt into bed earlier and earlier every day-too exhausted. But, soon the produce will slow, and the days will cool, and the bugs will go away and wow-won't life be wonderful. Keep plugging on! Autumn is coming (I saw the first goldenrods!). And the peas, well, they can't go on forever!
:)

Mama Pea said...

Kim - Good idea! These are the times when a large family or a maiden aunt probably came in very handy! (But, wait, then the garden would have to be that much bigger to feed everyone!)

Erin - Thanks for your good advice, Mom. ;o) You're so wise. (I really mean that.)

Apple Pie Gal - Sure makes one yearn for a snowy, rehabilitation day inside with the wood stove crackling, doesn't it?

Sue - Ha! Your comment about actually ENJOYING the day! I said the very same thing when I was helping hubby install a new storm/screen outer front door yesterday afternoon. As I was holding up the door (grunt-groan-sweat) while he put screws into the jamb, I looked out across the yard at the fruit trees, the garden, the lush woods beyond and said it was such a shame that we're so darned busy this time of year that we don't have time (take time?) to enjoy the beauty of the season.

These days I have to question why we kill ourselves gardening. But I know that answer, and so do all of you . . . so I shall not blather on.

Susan said...

This time of year reminds me of ordered chaos. Sort of. It's important to take the time to deep breath and do something non-gardening. If you're like me, the heat really drags me down and saps what little energy I have at the end of the day. Have a nice glass of mint iced tea, put your feet up and give yourself a break. You've earned it!

Unknown said...

Same thing here, too!

MaineCelt said...

From out of the depths of our refinancing, in a sleep-deprived state unhelped by last night's twilight escaped-pig chase and the fun of killing a predator-mangled laying hen, I yodel out a call of solidarity!

Yes, it's beautiful outside, and one of these days we're all gonna plunk ourselves down with cool drinks in our hands and refuse to get up until we've gol-dang ENJOYED it for a while!

Anonymous said...

What about finding a local teen who would work picking stuff for you in exchange for some of the bounty? Maybe a teen of a single mom like me?
Just a thought...Then it would give you some more time to do other things.

Mama Pea said...

Susan - I actually put on some decent clothes this morning and met a good friend for coffee and 2 hours of non-stop talking! I hadn't realized how long it had been since I'd spent daylight hours doing something other than gardening or thinking I SHOULD be doing something garden related!

Cindy - At least we all know we're not alone! :o)

MaineCelt - Maybe we should have "solidarity" t-shirts made up. Wearing them would give us the strength to go on!!

You, m'dear, have really been through it lately. (Just how long does "lately" cover? A couple of months? Two or more years? Aw heck, let's not count up how long it's been, eh?)

Stephanie - Another good idea. Why aren't we all closer? Then I could kidnap YOUR teen and send him/her home with a shopping bag of garden produce!

Jody M said...

I usually don't sleep well during a full moon.

Mama Pea said...

Jody - Full moon. Duh. Why didn't I think of that?