Friday, June 25, 2010

No, I'm Not Losing It

I totally remember blogging about this pie last year in July. But it is just sooo good that I had to remind you of it today again. Besides, maybe some of you weren't on board last year, and I wouldn't want you to miss such a good thing.

Every year when I have fresh strawberries from the garden, I make this pie at least once, maybe sixteen times. It's so easy and the flavor is light and refreshing and oh, so wonderful.

I made it first thing yesterday morning, and put it in the refrig. Then we did serious damage to it at lunch time.

I had a hard time getting the whipping cream to set up stiff enough (I think my cream was too fresh) so the individual pieces were a bit on the sloopy side, but we ate it just the same. No problem.

If you have an uncontrollable urge to make this pie, clicking on http://ahomegrownjournal.blogspot.com/2009/07/strawberry-cream-pie.html will take you right to a step-by-step how-to for preparing one of your very own.

There are more strawberries out in the garden right now that should have been picked today but the rain started early on and continued up until a short time ago. The strawberry patch is soaking wet and (just to add a little diversity to things) mosquitoes are rampant tonight. I'm hoping 1) the slugs don't eat all of the berries, and 2) we have sunshine tomorrow so I can get at the harvest.

8 comments:

Patty said...

Hey Mama Pea-
That looks delish! I'm hoping with you that all the critters leave all of our gardens alone! Especially the slugs, and especially something as delightful as strawberries! Happy gardening!

Erin said...

Yum! And what is it with berries & mosquitoes? They always go hand in hand!

Mama Pea said...

Hiya, Patty - Do you think we've had enough rain lately? If we got 'bout three days of sunshine, I think everything in our gardens would grow a foot!

Hey, Erin - I just sloshed out into the garden for a last look around of the evening (only got bit once) and the strawberry plants are so beaten down and wet from the rain they are practically flattened. Plus, there are so many big, ripe berries out there that even if it's raining tomorrow, I'm going to have to brave the elements and pick. Oh, how I'm hoping for sunshine!

Katidids said...

That looks so good & hey! I'm good for leftovers!

fiona@fionacampbell.ca said...

And Ella was just asking me to make a strawberry pie... Looks like I've found a great recipe -- thanks!

Jenyfer Matthews said...

Put on your wellies and go get those berries before something else does!

Susan said...

Curse you, Mama Pea! Now I'll have to add heavy cream to my shopping list. Can you make this one-handed?

Mama Pea said...

Hey, Katy - So sorry, too late, leftovers ALL GONE!

Hi, Fiona - Hope I'm right in thinking Ella (all all the rest of you) will like this pie!

Hey, Jen - Yes, Mum!!

Hi, Susan - You may have to enlist a little help on the pie . . . bribe someone with a nice big piece!