Thursday, December 24, 2009

Blizzard Report

The forecasters said we would get several inches of snow this morning and then a lull before the heaviest snow started up again in late afternoon.

The snow that fell this morning was super wet and heavy. Matter of fact, our temperature has been hanging right around 31° and I've been afraid it would start to rain. THAT we don't need! I don't think we're getting an accurate measurement of just how many inches have fallen so far because it's so wet it's compacting as soon as it hits.

I went out to shovel off the deck this morning and could hardly stay on my feet because the surface was so slippery. Roy moved vehicles around in preparation for plowing at some point, and I saw him spinning his wheels more than once. We haven't ventured out to the main road so I don't know what conditions there are.

The snow did stop at about 2 p.m. and the lull is . . . still lulling now at 3:45. The snow that has fallen is indeed beautiful but it's unfortunate this particular storm had to arrive right over Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Several churches here have already cancelled their services for this evening, and I can't imagine that lots of folks aren't having difficulties traveling.

It's ten minutes to 4 as I write this and it's dark enough to be difficult to see out the window over my desk. It was about the same amount of light at 8 this morning. As my better half said then, we're just past the shortest day of the year, and it's winter time in the north land. So what else should we expect?

Ooops, big, fat, white flakes have just now started coming down out there. Is this the start of the heaviest snow of the storm? I'll keep you updated.

Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas Eve!

3 comments:

Erin said...

Beautiful! Hope you all get to Chicken Mama's safely, Merry Christmas!

RuthieJ said...

It's good to finally have that white insulation blanket on the ground though, isn't it?

Mama Pea said...

Hi, Erin - Hope to get a post up later about our trip yesterday.

Hi, Ruthie - Yes, it is! We had already heard of people having trouble with frozen pipes . . . not good!