Sunday, July 19, 2009

You Might Be A Homesteader If . . .

A day or so ago, Jenna at Cold Antler Farm (see right-hand sidebar) wrote a post on how you might recognize a homesteader. At the end of her post she asked others to share some of their own thoughts on the subject.



So, here's my list.



YOU MIGHT BE A HOMESTEADER IF . . .



You're acutely in tune with weather conditions.





A full wood shed looks as good to you as a healthy bank account.



Your dog raising a terrible ruckus outside signals an animal intruder rather than a human one.



Your livestock food supply is as important as your home pantry food supply.





Someone spots your farm trailer fifty miles from your homestead and recognizes it as yours.



You've hauled everything in above mentioned trailer from horses to hay to household goods.



You lust after fencing.



Your hands are permanently stained with dirt from May through October. The rest of the year they're just rough and chapped.



You occasionally find yourself wearing your barn boots to town when you forget to change out of them before leaving home.





Your mowed hay field looks better to you than any lawn possibly could.



Some days most of your conversation consists of talking to animals and/or plants.



You can observe one of your animals as far as a field away and know if it has even the slightest ailment.





The knees of all of your jeans are permanently stained from kneeling somewhere, in something.



Even though you're safe and secure in severe weather, you're still worried about the livestock.



You get up in the middle of the night because you just remembered you forgot to plug in the electric fence.



You don't have to go to the gym for exercise.



3 comments:

Chicken Mama said...

I copied you, too, Mom. Take a peek!

www.swampriverridge.blogspot.com

Heidi said...

I love this. It's all so true! Except I am lusting after a trailer as well as fencing!

I think if more people had days where most of their conversation was with animals and/or plants the world would be a better place! :)

Mama Pea said...

Hi, Heidi - If I had a magic wand full of fairy dust I'd bonk you on the head and say, "Your wish for a farm trailer and all the fencing you desire has been filled!"

I used to have a sign in my kitchen that said, "The more I see of people, the more I like my goats." (Tee-hee!)