Sunday, August 24, 2008

Avoiding Work?

Typical late August weather for our part of the world . . . one day it's stifling, hot, humid, nearly unbearable and the next day is dry, breezy, in the 70s and a delight to experience the out of doors. That's my excuse for not starting canning until late yesterday.

I went out before breakfast to do some watering before it got (expected anyway) hot. We still haven't had any rain in close to a month now. Roy came out to do somethings in the yard and we both kept commenting on how wonderfully pleasant the weather was, especially compared to the day before when we were both close to heat prostration.

One thing led to another and we ended up doing some early fall clean-up/put away jobs. (How virtuous we felt getting a jump on those things.) I decided to do some needed tomato pruning while waiting to periodically lend my brute strength as the "other end" of some carrying projects. Gak! What is that substance that comes off the tomato plants and onto one's hands? Yesterday, it was absolutely iridescent (which doesn't show in the picture), very yellow/green and shiny. Plus the stuff doesn't want to wash off easily. I usually have to scrape it off with a fingernail. Oh, well. I'll just have to cancel my hand modeling job for Monday.

Although I got a later than expected start, I did make a batch of pickles and a batch of Raspberry Jam last night before Roy said he was gonna make me stop even if he had to conk me on the head with something heavy. Stop I did and, oh, was it a wonderful night for sleeping. Even had the quilt pulled up. Temp was down to 49° by this morning and today looks like it may be a repeat of yesterday. Bring it on!

No comments: