Sunday, February 1, 2009

Baby Quilt and Doll Quilt

Yessir, I made it a priority and did spend some hours in my quilt room this weekend. (And a good time was had by all . . . well, by me for sure, anyway.)

Here's the quilt for the little baby boy that was born this past week.






It measures approximately 35" x 41" and should be a good size for bundling around his car seat to help keep him toasty for the rest of this winter.






I machine quilted it since I'm hoping it will get used a lot . . . and, therefore, have to be thrown in the washer a lot. Some baby quilts are made to be hung on the wall in the nursery or used just for decoration, and I have made a few of those which I hand quilted. But bottom line, hand quilting just doesn't hold up if a quilt is being used and laundered with any regularity. I'd like to think this one will be used to keep this little Minnesota boy warm so I made it with durability in mind.



Since the little guy's "big" sister was clutching a favorite doll in the picture I saw of her and the newborn, I thought she might like to get a quilt for her own "baby.”






It's a mini 16" x 20" and should be a manageable size for an almost two-year old.





Machine quilted it, too, since it may get dirtier than the baby's quilt!



Lest you think I'm some kind of Wonder Woman in the quilt room, I must confess I had the larger quilt a ways along before this weekend. So it just needed finishing up. Whenever I make a quilt or wall hanging, I save all the extra bits and pieces of material in an individual bag. I've always had it in the back of my mind that someday (that elusive "someday") I'll take my gazillion little bags of scraps and create this fantastic, original quilt that will knock socks off everyone near and far. In the meantime (ahem), it's very convenient to be able to grab one of those little bags and have pieces of fabric cut and ready to be made into something like this little doll quilt. So that one went together quickly, too.



Now just need to package the two items up and send them off. Sounds like a trip into town and the post office early this coming week.



2 comments:

RuthieJ said...

Hi Mama Pea,
Your quilts are beautiful. I'm sure the little ones (or their parents at least) will appreciate your efforts.

Have you ever checked into shipping packages from your home with USPS on-line? I do this all the time and it's so convenient. If you use priority mail, you can order all the boxes from them (for FREE!), then calculate postage (they can sell you a little digital scale - which I've also used in the kitchen), and print your mailing labels right at home. It's so convenient--especially for me living out in the country. If the package is larger than my mailbox or I don't feel comfortable leaving it there, I can make arrangements with the Post Office to pick up the package at my front door. It's nice to be able to pack and ship stuff, any time of the day. (usps.gov is their website, I think)

Mama Pea said...

Hi, Ruthie - Funny you should mention the info regarding shipping packages via the USPS. When I picked up our mail Monday, I found two bundles of flattened Priority Mail cartons. I asked Roy what they were all about and he told me he had just discovered the info you related to me here! Now the real test for us will be to see if, indeed, they will pick up a package at our door. We frequently get excuses from all kinds of delivery services (including the PO) such as, "Well, yes, in more populated areas but because of the remoteness of your area, we're not able to provide those services to you . . . blah, blah, blah." Should be interesting to see how it pans out here.