Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Written on Saturday, December 9, 2017

Here's another one of my "posts" written during my month of December break from blogging . . . fingers clicking on the keys as my mind rambled with random thoughts.

* * * * * * * * * *

It's be-ginning to look a lot like Christmas!  (Feel free to hum along with me.)

As I'm writing this 'round about 5 p.m. in the afternoon, it's snowing lightly.  I'm reminded I truly love this time of year when darkness descends by 4:30.  (Ducking as I imagine some of you throwing a heavy object at me.)  Especially during the pre- (and post) holiday period when the house is full of sparkling lights and other colorful decorations.  What could create a cozier atmosphere?  Besides that, it reminds me we have a lovely, long evening of relaxing ahead of us.  And we do, most nights.  If only the jaw-cracking yawns and drooping eyelids wouldn't attack both of us by 8 o'clock!

The darkness of the winter mornings doesn't bother me either since it's the start of my most productive time of the day.  Papa Pea and I are both up and dressed quickly, then building up the fires in the kitchen and living room wood stoves.  'Tis the season so I slide a Christmas CD into the kitchen player while we make our individual morning cups of caffeine.

Sometimes I sit at the computer with my latte, but lately I've been trying to avoid that sedentary act as I don't think it enables me to get my brain in gear nor my body functioning as quickly as when I stay upright and move around physically.  Deciding what to make for breakfast and getting that started, I like to do a quick tidying up of the house, picking up and putting away whatever has been left scattered from the night before.  Wood boxes might get filled, the kitchen floor swept, notations made on the list of what I hope to accomplish during the day.

Yep, I wouldn't mind if this time of year lasted longer than it does.  (Sincere apologies to those of you who have to leave home in the dark and return again in darkness.  I remember very well how that really made the days seem unbelievably short in length and caused a permanent red crease on the forehead from wearing a head lamp so much.)

Recently I came across this reminder I made to myself a few years ago on an index card, clipped to the month of December in my yearly planner.  It reads:

Written on August 8th - 85 degrees and humid!
A THOUGHT TO REMEMBER IN DECEMBER

It's 4:30 in the afternoon, I'm tired, hot, sweaty,
bug-bitten and pooped from working
outside on a million different projects --
AND there are still a couple hours
to work before dinner
(smoothies 'cause I don't have time or energy
for anything else) and then we'll probably
be out for an hour or two after dinner to finish
a time-sensitive project -- grass seeding, this time.

So in December, savor 4:30 in the afternoon
(dark yet?), savor the day spent indoors,
savor the good dinner, savor the "long" evening
ahead spent reading, knitting, quilting, relaxing.
 HOORAY FOR WINTER!!

24 comments:

Katie C. said...

Yep. Sometimes I just need a reminder of all the sweaty heat and dirt from working in the garden in the middle of the summer.

P. said...

Yes, I understand you so well, I do like the idea of "she rises when is still night" and the getting dark early. I like the cosiness of Winter and I can't stand Summer. I don't expect most people understand me.

Susan said...

I am definitely a winter lover, as long as it's not a winter in Upper Mongolia, as it has been so far. I have to admit to having my twinkle lights up all year 'round. It doe make such a difference to the relative hygge-ness of the house.

Michelle said...

As I recently wrote on my blog, I would be happy if it cycled forever through just autumn and winter here! (I'd have to figure out something for fresh fruit and vegetables; a greenhouse?)

Rain said...

I love the note to yourself!! I should do that too. Right now: "Dear Rain, the next time you and Alex are tempted to 'just visit' the dog shelter, remember how tough life has been with two extra dogs...TRAINED dogs that you already KNOW." Lol...

tpals said...

Great idea on the note to self. I will write one for August about how my fingers and face hurt when doing chores in the winter.

Goatldi said...

Mama Pea no tomatoes tossed here. Geoffrey was watching a documentary type show on Pluto and they said "Pluto has longer winters than summers."

I looked at the house dogs and said "we are moving!" All my life I have been a winter lover. Even when I worked I wanted my quiet time and fires. I despise DLS with a passion. As some wise indigenous individual once said "Only a white man an would cut the top third off a blanket sew to the bottom and claim it is larger."

So I will now disappear to enjoy two weeks of rain,snow and cold topped off by a four day visit from one of my best lady friends.

MrsDuncanMahogany said...

This post is an excellent reminder to take things as they come. Slowly in the winter, a bit more lively come summertime. Balance! :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I love your reminder. I always think about those hot long days during winter. I'm enjoying my down time, but I too don't like to sit too long.

Vera said...

Drifting along with the seasons, that is what is so wonderful about leading a country based way of life!

Mama Pea said...

Katie C. - I guess we've all got to learn to enjoy the "here and now" of every day. At least, that's what I'm trying to do.

P.S. Summer IS sweatier and dirtier than winter!! ;o)

Mama Pea said...

P. - Cozy is the word for winter in my book. Glad to know there are others like me who prefer winter over summer! (I'd be hard pressed to grow the garden produce we love, though, without the summer season!)

Mama Pea said...

Susan - You have definitely had more winter weather than we have this year! What's with that? Theoretically speaking, you should be warmer than us up here near the tundra!

Mama Pea said...

Michelle - Ha! Easy for you to say when you get all those lovely blooms and blossoms nearly year 'round. (Don't mind me, I'm just jealous. JEALOUS!!) ;o)

Mama Pea said...

Rain - Hahahahohohoho! So right you are!

Mama Pea said...

tpals - I hear you, but don't know which is worse for me: The half frozen body parts in the winter or the awful, terrible, drive-me-crazy itchy bug bites in the summer!

Mama Pea said...

Goatldi - Gotta remember that quote by the "wise indigenous individual" . . . so appropriate to the I-Hate-It-Too daylight savings time!

Enjoy your time with your good friend!

Mama Pea said...

MrsDM - Yep, learning to live with the seasons. That's why I think we need more sleep in the winter . . . go to bed when it's dark and sleep until it's light. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.)

Mama Pea said...

Vera - Yes, yes, yes! When living a country based way of life, you're forced to drift along with the seasons! And ain't it great?!

Mama Pea said...

Kristina - But who the heck has TIME to sit too long? Doesn't happen much around here or in your house, I know! ;o}

Mark said...

Hee hee! I am, or was anyway up to this year, one of those folks who left home in the dark and came home in the dark in the winter for many years. Even so, late fall every year there comes a point where I am pining for winter so at least there will be a break in the garden and yard work for awhile, and I can enjoy some quiet evenings. Shortly thereafter I'm tired of being cold all the time (and the seed catalogs start coming) and I'm ready for a fresh start to the garden and the sunny, windy days of spring. Then I start to get antsy for fresh lettuce and tomatoes. Then the cycle repeats. Not sure I'd be well suited for one of the places that really only have two seasons.

The Wykeham Observer said...

I also like the darker parts of the day in winter. I think they remind us to slow down a little.

wisps of words said...

I love when twilight comes early!

It's cozy!!!

:-)

vaiybora said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.