Sunday, June 23, 2013

Slow Sunday

I'm blaming the level of (non)activity around here on the weather.  More dampness and fog.  Lots of fog.  Matter of fact, we're under a Heavy Fog Advisory.  (What?  Like we should be careful it doesn't fall on us?  Or we could be hurt bumping into it?  Okay, so my sense of humor has been affected by all the recent dampness.  I'll stop trying to be funny.) 

We haven't had any rain drops falling today (we did overnight), but the air is very saturated with moisture and although I could go out and do some weeding in the raised beds without donning thigh-high muck boots, I've chosen to stay inside.  As our girl Scarlett said, "Tomorrow is another day."  Or, "I'll think about it tomorrow."  Or something like that.  I know the weeds will be there when I do go out.

I did take a tour of the garden about an hour ago to get some fresh air.  Lo and behold, my bean and corn seeds didn't rot.  They are both valiantly poking up through the soil.  Yay!  Now if we ever get some sunshine again, I'm sure they'll spurt forth like all gangbusters.


Looking for another picture, I came across this one I took a couple/few weeks ago.  Papa Pea is on the next to the top rung of our biggest extension ladder (extended to the max) trying to untangle a small rope and pulley we had over a branch which holds a sunflower seed feeder for the birds.  Good thing he's not afraid of heights, huh?  I actually got a titch dizzy tilting my head back, back, back in order to point the camera straight up and capture the shot.

That's all I've got for today, Troops.  I'm in the middle of trying to clear off the surface of my desk.  Now that I can almost see the top, it's apparent I'm gonna need a dust cloth . . . maybe even a bucket with soap and water for wiping before that.

Oh!  Good thing I just looked through that last little pile on the right hand corner of the desk top.  I have a quilting book that I'd like to pass on to one of you.  I'll post a picture of it within the next couple of days so you can check it out and see if it's one you'd like to have. 

Hope you had a good weekend and have a mah-velous week coming up.

15 comments:

Sparkless said...

Goodness that Papa Pea is a brave guy. I'm not afraid of heights but I am afraid of climbing up high on rickety ladders.

Tombstone Livestock said...

You still waiting for summer????? Let's see, Summer started here in April, then there was May and now June is almost over .......... isn't summer supposed to be a 3 months season, I still have July, August, Sept and October which are still "summer months" here ... in other words HOT, but hey, today we have clouds, supposed to rain in No. California, just made it humid here, but I will go out and tarp the hay stack I bought a few weeks ago just in case. Don't want any lightning tho.

Leigh said...

Hurray for your beans and corn! But I can't say I envy you for the fog.

Mama Pea said...

Sparkless - The way the top of this ladder was balanced on the trunk of this tree . . . well, let's just say it was not very stable and I was not very comfortable with the situation. What do they say? All's well that ends well?

Mama Pea said...

Tombstone Livestock - Yep, still waiting for summer. We saw the sun briefly today and the temp shot up to 70°. Then the fog rolled back in and it dropped to 50°.

Hope taking the precaution of covering your hay stack brought some rain your way!

Mama Pea said...

Leigh - I drove into and through town this morning and the fog was so dense I really didn't feel safe. There were a couple of events going on this weekend and town was packed with tourists. I kept thinking of kids (or adults) stepping out from between parked cars or a car stopping in front of me. I didn't have enough visibility to feel comfortable. (I tell ya, if it isn't one thing it's another!)

Sandy Livesay said...

Mama Pea,

It's a real good thing that Papa Pea is not afraid of heights.

I don't like driving in dense fog, like you I don't feel safe.

Michelle said...

We get a lot of fog here also. We get our usually in the fall and early winter. It scares me to death. You can't see your hand in front of your face. But people still try to drive in it.

Mama Pea said...

Michelle - It's okay if everyone goes slowly and carefully . . . but you always have those one or two who drive as if everything is clear as a bell. (Sometimes you can understand where road rage comes from!)

Susan said...

Egads! I had to clutch the desk when I saw that picture of Papa Pea! I am NOT able to handle heights. At all. We have gone from early spring to mid summer in two days. Hot and humid. This is great weather, apparently, for the squash which have shot up overnight. It is NOT great weather for my hair. I am seriously thinking of having my head shaved and having blond hair tattooed on. Or not. :0

Lisa said...

What we do for our feathered friends?! Yay for your beans and corn.... and yes, 'tomorrow is another day'... one of my favorite sayins' here too. We're having such hot, humid, muggy weather here that simply opening the door feels like you're enveloped in a hot blanket. Lots of rain, though, for us.... which is good for the garden. But fog? Fog Advisory? During the day? Amazing.

Unknown said...

Man that's HIGH!

Mama Pea said...

Susan - Yuck. Hot and humid is NOT nice.

Regarding the hair thing, how come guys can go with the shaved/bald look and we females can't? (Although I must admit I don't think there are very many men who look better with the shaved head look as opposed to a nice head of hair.)

Mama Pea said...

Lisa - I kinda like the saying, "Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow." Hee-hee. (Have you noticed how that always manages to catch up with you and bite you in the patoot?)

Mama Pea said...

Nancy - Yes, ma'am, it WAS high! He really has no fear of heights. I CAN do things like that . . . as long as I don't look down. If I do, it's all over for me!