It was hard, but we finally settled on the specifications of the new stairway going up to Papa Pea's office.
The basic problem we faced is we don't have enough space to fit in a "made to scale" stairway. Literally the only place in the living room we could possibly put the stairway just doesn't allow a long enough run for the standard measurements. The room we're working with is a smidge over 15 x 15' but in that space there are four doors and one whole wall of windows. Put in the stairway (somewhere, somehow) and we have a room 15 x 11-1/2'. Not large, but lots bigger than we had before!
Papa Pea and I tried but couldn't figure out a satisfactory way of building the stairs. Okay, call in the big guns. B measured and figured and erased and measured again and finally told us we had two choices.
We could build the stairway with treads this size and risers this size or treads that size and risers that size. Those two options were the very best we had. We made the decision and the work started.
Above are Papa Pea and B taking down the old (temporary) stairway.
This is a view of a stairway you don't usually see. I'm taking the picture from the bottom where the stairs will start going up to the second floor.
The inside of the stairway will be finished with bead board. When I took this shot I was standing in the living room looking through the outer stud wall of the stairway with the wall of bead board we got up today on the opposite wall.
Here's the way we're getting upstairs tonight. After this, any stairway will be an improvement.
We did also get the three stringers for the stairs cut today so with luck, by tomorrow night we'll have easier access!
Sunrise ~ Pumpkin Farm ~ The Harley Rides Alone
43 minutes ago