At the end of December, I did what I probably shouldn't have done. I started a new project. I should have been finishing up UFOs from the old year, but oh, phoo-poo! I just couldn't resist trying to make a crocheted rug using strips of fabric.
The booklet I had suggested using 2" wide strips of fabric folded in half lengthwise, but that proved to be way too cumbersome. So I started over using 1-1/2" wide strips and that worked much better.
But because the cotton fabric had no "give," trying to crochet with it wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done.
I though I wanted about a 24" x 36" size rug but when I got to 19" x 32", it looked about the right size for my needs. I even had (lots of) strips already cut that I didn't use. (Now I'll have to think of something to do with those blasted leftovers!)
The end product reminds me of a cross between a rag rug and a braided rug.
It's plenty thick enough to be substantial and should hold up to a lot of washings which is important in this house.
I'm going to be curious to see how soon it shows the dirt. I'll be taking it outside to shake it frequently. Probably wouldn't hurt to run the vac over it when I do the floors either.
If you've ever made anything in a circular or oval pattern, you know it's a smidge tricky getting the thing to lie flat. My rug looks good now but I'm wondering if drying it in the dryer will make it curl up. I think the best way would be to dry it on the metal deck table in the sunshine of a summer's day turning it over now and then while coaxing it into its flat shape.
Even though this method of making a rug required strong fingers and wrists, it went quickly and, yep, I'm already thinking of colors for the next one.
Preparedness ~ Weeding and no rain
3 hours ago