Sunday, March 29, 2009

Say It Isn't So

I just checked the latest update on the snowstorm supposedly heading our way. My husband is in the kitchen doing up a batch of dishes (what did I do to deserve him?) so I hollered the latest news to him. "Great," he said, "nothing like a little storm to end the season with.”

Snow is predicted to start tomorrow night, go through Tuesday, Tuesday night and taper off during the day on Wednesday. A total of somewhere in the range of 7-14" is predicted. When we first moved up here some 35+ years ago, I remember some of the old-timers telling of years in the 1930s when the last snows of the season came in the month of May. Omigosh.

I think I've mentioned before that I'm an old-fashioned Betty Crocker wanna-be and usually do laundry on Mondays, the traditional clothes washing day of the week. Well, because of planned activities for this coming week that I won't bore you with now, I washed today instead. The day also happened to be the first full day of sunshine we've seen in what seems like forever and I came 'bout this close to hanging the laundry outside for the first time this year. But then good sense kicked in when I looked at the thermometer and decided 36 degrees, sunshine or no, was rushing it a little. Besides that, I string my clotheslines across our large front deck and the three dogs were happily stretched out there soaking up the sun most of the day. Hanging clothes would have meant stepping over and around them multiple times and I've had enough of that lately inside the house. On second thought, it would have been fun to take a picture of clothes flapping in the sunshine on the line outside on Sunday and another picture of the deck covered in 14" of snow on Tuesday. Shoot, missed that photo op.

Granddogs Maisy and Tucker are going home tonight as daughter and FSIL are nearing home as we speak. They put in a long day today driving from the southwestern most tip of Minnesota to the northeastern most tip. We last heard from them when they were about 2-1/2 hours away and they're very glad to be back in home territory. Our daughter has had to do all the driving (from Arizona) because of FSIL's injuries. Unfortunately, it's not been a comfortable trip for him. Hopefully now that he'll be home in his own surroundings and own little beddie-bye, he can start healing more quickly. Life surely does keep throwing little glitches in your path that you never expect or can plan on. Sorta like the possibility of 14" of snow at the very end of March. Which admittedly is nothing to deal with compared to a badly broken clavicle, six shattered ribs and one collapsed lung.

No comments: