For a couple of weeks now, on and off, I've been checking my cauliflower plants thinking the heads could/should be reaching maturity.
Yesterday as I walked by the raised bed I have them planted in, I noticed one of the heads had burst out of the leaves I've been keeping tied up over them for blanching (to keep them white).
Stopped to check all the heads and . . . Whoa, Nellie! We had cauliflower ready for harvest! (Last year, I harvested cauliflower on July 14th. Yep, we are behind this year!)
I planted nine plants and all but one of the heads turned out good. Seems I usually end up with at least one head that goes wonky on me and refuses to form a normal looking, rounded mound but rather has strange, off-colored antennae sticking out all over.
Can't complain about the crop this year even though it really was bit late. Although it sure wasn't on my schedule for the day, I made time to prep the cauliflower, soak it in warm salted water for a couple of hours and then process it for the freezer for our winter's use.
I also harvested our first shell peas yesterday, with companionship and help from our daughter, and got those tender, tasty, little green gems in the freezer. Although it was a bit of a struggle between scattered rain drops and one heavy deluge, I got a dehydrator full of prepped peppermint done, too.
Harvest time is in full swing and so often there are surprises in the garden so best to keep out a keen eye!
3 hours ago