Saturday, February 17, 2018

"I'm Melllltiiinng!"

Saturday is the day our daughter takes care of the 4 year old twins and their 8 year old big sister.

They stopped in this morning to say hello after picking up Gilligan who was going to town with them to run a couple of errands.

In the winter, the rules in our house are we take our boots off in the entry room (which is just inside the enclosed back porch -- too cold out there as it's unheated).  The twins did this and then made their way into our living room where they started building a "fort" with the couch pillows, cushions and quilt.

Big sister stood in the kitchen (on the rug by the doorway) chatting with us four adults, not wanting to take off her jacket, snow pants, boots, etc. because they had to leave shortly.

Well, the happy voices and other fun  sounds coming from the living room got the best of her so she headed across the kitchen toward the activity in the other room forgetting she still had her boots on.

She was stopped short of the doorway to the living room by Chicken Mama sternly saying, "Boots off!"


She immediately obeyed and we all laughed at the sight of her snow pants and boots that she shed rather quickly.

The sight made us think of the Wicked Witch of the West in The Wizard of Oz pitifully screeching, "I'm melting!"


21 comments:

Rain said...

"Oh what a world"....lol...that witch scared me! That photo of the legless snow pants and boots is hilarious Mama Pea! :)

wisps of words said...

That is some picture!!!!!!!!!!!

Mama Pea said...

Rain - My dear aunt took me to see The Wizard of Oz when it first came out in movie theaters and what scared me was when the house fell on the witch and her feet curled up. Remember that? My aunt always told me she felt so bad when I cried then and she had to comfort me. Crazy!

Mama Pea said...

wisps of words - I couldn't pass that picture up. The way the boots held the bottoms of the snow pants up and the way the boots were positioned to look like feet were still in them!

Rain said...

Oh poor you and your poor guilty Aunt!!! I remember the movie pretty much by heart...I always had a crush on the Tinman...sigh...so full of love but without a ticker. :)

Mama Pea said...

Rain - I just looked up the year Wizard of Oz came out and it was 1939! I was born in '43 and I think I must have been 5 or 6 when Aunt Jeanette took me to see it so now I'm wondering if it was one of those "classics" that they reissued every now and then. I know Gone with the Wind was like that when I was growing up. Of course, that was all waaaay before movie rentals so the only way a person could see a classic movie was to wait until a movie theater ran it again. (Oh, yes, the Good Old Days! Or were they??)

Goatldi said...

My daughter loved the movie and Judy Garland also. I found a fabric collection about nine years ago from the movie. I also found a great quilt book with a pattern called "carousel " paired the favorite movie with the favorite amusement ride. Someday it will be finished and she will have a remembrance from her Mama.

Did they flying monkeys come into the kitchen too?

Mama Pea said...

Goatldi - Oh, if there was only MORE time to get all the desired quilt projects done, eh? So much fabric, so little time.

No, no flying monkeys appeared. Had that happened, I may have fainted dead away.

Michelle said...

That photo looks like the "topless horseman"! Great capture!

Nancy In Boise said...

Gotta love kinds!

Mama Pea said...

Michelle - Minus the horse, too!

Mama Pea said...

Nancy - Yep, can't imagine how she could have "escaped" her snow pants and boots and had them end up like that!

Leigh said...

Ha ha! Clever girl!

M.E. Masterson said...

Hilarious!!

The Wykeham Observer said...

Funny how I had the same reaction to the demise of the witch as a little kid. I felt so bad to see her suffering! That snow pants and boots scenario might be a good thing to try outside at the front door next year after the first snow!

Rain said...

I LOVE all of the old movies from that era...but I do love being able to see them when I want! :)

Susan said...

That picture is priceless! Not surprisingly, I was inconsolable when Toto was put in the basket and taken off on the bicycle to be killed, pre-witch. When the flying monkeys got him again, I refused to watch. Took me two years to get up the nerve to see it again. It’s now my favorite movie of all time!

Mama Pea said...

Leigh - She didn't even know she'd done it until we pointed it out to here. :o}

Mama Pea said...

M.E.Masterson - We all sure got a good chuckle out of it!

Mama Pea said...

Phil - I suppose it was because as little kids we thought the witch was "real" and we thought she really was melting (when hit with the water) or her feet and legs really did curl up (wouldn't that hurt?) when the house fell on her!

The snow pants and boots scenario might be very appropriate for our back entry stoop because it gets very slippery (not good) with the littlest bit of snow on it!

Mama Pea said...

Susan - All this has made me want to watch the movie again! I don't remember when I last saw it . . . hope I don't get scared this time around.