Saturday, May 20, 2017

Saturday Night, After Dinner, Before Bed

I'm feeling behind on getting the garden in.  (I say this every year, don't I?)  The weather hasn't been conducive to planting.  We seem to be getting two days of rain, two days of no rain.  The first day after the rain stops, it's too wet to do much in the field garden, but I can usually work in the raised beds . . . which is good.

Rain (about an inch) is predicted to fall on us over night tonight and if that happens I'll lose another day of progress in the field garden tomorrow.  But I did get all my shell peas and potatoes planted there today.

Wasn't a particularly pleasant day weather-wise.  Very damp with a stiff breeze.  Worked with knit hat and down work jacket on most of the day.  On the other hand, the bugs aren't bad.  (They have yet to make their appearance.  Knock on wood, maybe they'll never hatch this year.  Ha.)

Also got carrots planted in a raised bed.  I'm still shaking my head over the size of my carrots from last year.  They were plentiful but about big around as a pencil.  (Slight exaggeration.  Slight.)  My carrots are usually fat and sassy so last season's were a puzzlement.  I plant a total of 32' of them which is an ample supply for us.  (Except when they turn out to be such skinny-minnies.)

Got a little more done as far as weeding the blueberry patch.  Not totally done yet, but getting there.  Same with the strawberries.  Plants are looking great, but no signs of blossoms forming yet.  It's early for us.

Started zinnia seeds inside yesterday.  They grow so fast that they'll be ready to put out about the first week in June.  If our weather ever turns warm, that is.

I'm not feeling "down" as this post may sound.  Just tired.  I think more from working out in the chilly, breezy weather than the day's physical work.  All is well and I'm feeling very thankful tonight for our little oasis in this crazy world.

13 comments:

Vera said...

We have been working in chilly winds as well and find it just as tiring as you do. Now we are hitting crazy summer temperatures for a few days, which I find just as tiring! Not to worry. Us 'producers of our own food' just have to carry on! Under flea beetle attack, our ground is too stoney to be able to grow any sensibly shaped carrots, but our potatoes are doing well and should be blossoming soon. I am also thankful for my little oasis here in SW France as well.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

We are having the same issues, as soon as the ground starts to dry up, but yet too wet to till and plant, it rains again. Sigh. We worked in the rain yesterday and have more we can do, unless it downpours.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Weather. It's the gardener's friends and the gardener's enemy. Maybe take advantage of your forced time out of the garden and put your feet up (although, I know you'll likely fill your time with other odd jobs!) -Jenn

Mama Pea said...

Vera - Well, the weather we all have can't be perfect all the time, can it? (WHY NOT??) Flea beetles? Ugh. As they say, if it's not one thing . . . Good thing we're all doing what we want to be doing 'cause there are always challenges. But, oh-so-many rewards!

Mama Pea said...

Kristina - For some reason, I put on my regular jacket (instead of sensible rain gear) to go out to do closing chores last night and came in wet, wet, wet. Guess I had already checked out for the night! Raining again here today. Poop.

Mama Pea said...

Jenn - Every time I get frustrated with the weather regarding my gardening, I think of the farmers. Too wet to get in the fields? Chance the crops won't have time to mature in the fall. Loss of finances much more than I suffer, that's for sure. The last time I planted corn in my garden, it blew down twice, the second time so flat there was no recovery. It made me think of a gal I used to work with whose folks were farmers. She told me that when their acres and acres of corn was ruined by flattening wind, people said what a shame. But didn't realize that was like working all summer at your job . . . and not getting paid any salary at all. Yep, we gardeners could have it worse!

Leigh said...

I think we all feel like that every year - behind on the garden! We got 3 inches of rain yesterday with more on the way, so I'm trying to decide if there is anything I can do in the garden today. Still need to finish harvesting the garlic and the weeds are getting out of control thanks to the hot weather. If it isn't chickens, it's feathers!

Susan said...

We've been having whiplash weather here - hot as blazes one day, violent storm, high 30s in the morning, wash, rinse, repeat. Sounds like you got a lot done, crummy weather and all!

Rain said...

Hi Mama Pea :) I think it's a pipe dream (all of ours) to hope that the bugs won't hatch this year lol...wouldn't that be just heavenly? Congrats on the weeding! I have no weeds to weed just yet, since I have nothing planted! :) My carrots are starting to come up though, I planted them April 29th. I read that they could survive the cold, so I thought I'd give it a try and I'm happy to see the little green strings emerging now! I don't think your post sounds down at all. I hope the weather gets better for all of us! Though I do like that the rain keeps the loud neighbours inside their cottage this long weekend! :)

Mama Pea said...

Leigh - You're getting more rain than we are, but without any warmth yet for us that puts us farther behind 'cause our soil is still so cold. Nuthin' is growing except grass . . . and the weeds, of course. Yeah, it's making me a little grumpy!

Mama Pea said...

Susan - It's really weird the way your weather fluctuates so wildly. Here we can't seem to get out of the 40s. Even the "cool" weather crops are saying it's all a bit much!

Mama Pea said...

Rain - I am SO thankful we live where no neighbors (or roads or trails) are a problem for us! The moist noise we hear are when our geese get into a squabble. (Or me ranting and raving about when I'm going to be able to get this garden planted!)

Sandy Livesay said...

Mama Pea,

I think the doctor ordered a relaxing evening for you!!! Feet up in front of the TV with your crafting, and a nice cup of hot tea.

Hugs,
Sandy