Friday, April 28, 2017

Still In The Ice Age

Although we did have a bit of melting today.  I think.  Maybe.


This is the ice on the top of the table on our deck.  In the last three days, it was first covered with about 1/2" of ice and then a small amount of snow fell on top of that.  As it's started to melt, it now looks like a cross between ice cubes and crushed ice.  It's very strange the way the snow/ice is melting on all surfaces.

Our temp hit only 39F today without much of any sun to help the melting process along.

When I drove out our driveway at 1 p.m. I found the tree branches and bushes on either side were so heavily coated with ice that they nearly formed a tunnel-like canopy over the driveway.  There were several spots where I had to (slowly) push through the icy overhangs.

But then when I came home about two hours later, most of the ice had fallen or melted off and I didn't brush any branches at all with my vehicle.

At least the ice hasn't been slippery.  More like walking through a frozen daiquiri.  Only drier.  And not nearly as tasty.










13 comments:

Vera said...

That tunnel of snow and frost laden trees must have looked quite magical, but then I didn't have to cope with driving through it! Hope things warm up for you soon. We are also chilly here in France as well, but not cold enough for snow and ice, thank goodness!

Sue said...

Blech. It's time for that to go!
I tried all morning yesterday to work outside--it was 38, which is "do-able", but the winds were ferocious! And yet, guess what's coming up?????---the ASPARAGUS, for cripes sake. I imagine it's because it's in a double height raised bed?? I put some Agribon over it, hoping it keeps it from freezing. Weird weird weird weather. And plants!
So, what's on the baking menu today? Don't get fat from all that keeping warm stuff. Go hide out in the quilt room or something.
Stay warm

Rain said...

What the heck is going on? I thought we had long winters...I hope everything melts soon and you have some nice weather Mama Pea! :)

MrsDuncanMahogany said...

I hope the weather is finally starting to turn a corner for you. We are reaching better temps starting today apparently. You should be hopefully getting some of that too!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I sure hope you start getting better weather. Golly.

Mama Pea said...

Vera - Yes, all this ice on everything has actually been beautiful. The sound when I had to drive through the ice-laden branches yesterday was almost musical! (We must remain positive, right?)

Mama Pea said...

Sue - Well, don't look now but we have full sunshine this morning and blue sky! I don't think there's going to be much I can do outside except for splitting some wood . . . but that's something on my list anyway. And you're so right . . . it's time for all this wintery stuff to be gone already!!

Mama Pea said...

Rain - Looking for a lot of melting today. (Fingers crossed.) This kind of weather does tend to hang on around here in April, but even this is getting to be a bit much!

Mama Pea said...

MrsDM - Yep, I think we're heading out of the freezing temperatures. 100% rain for this coming Monday but at least it's rain and not the S word!

Mama Pea said...

Kristina - You wanna push a little of that 80 degree air of yours our way, please?

Tami said...

39? Thirty NINE?!? Sounds like heaven! Ugh...We are 89 and sweltering. I wonder if SM will move to Minn with me?

Mama Pea said...

Tami - Talked with my SIL today back in our old stomping grounds in Illinois and they've had a very cool spring but all the flowers are still blooming. Maybe you should only go as far north as there. ;o)

Sandy Livesay said...

Mama Pea,

I'm sure your ice felt and looked like that frozen daiquiri however, I'm sure it didn't taste like one.

It's a good sign to see the ice melting, and forming slush.....getting closer in time to planting everything outside

Hugs,
Sandy