Thursday, April 27, 2017

One More Day of Winter

It certainly does look like winter out there.  Papa Pea went out to get our mail yesterday afternoon and took these couple of shots of our driveway.


It was actually very pretty.


He had to stop and remove one tree that had snapped off and was lying over the road.

Last night when we closed up the poultry, there was an honest 1/2" of ice coating everything.  Nothing looks much different today.

We're still under a winter storm warning until tomorrow morning.  Snow and ice or rain is scheduled to start again before noon.

A friend and I had a fun outing planned for today but cancelled.  It wasn't a "necessary" thing by any means and neither of us wanted to take a chance on iffy roads.

Our temp this morning was 23 degrees and although we've had two geese faithfully sitting on eggs, even their brief forays off the nest to go down to the pond to wet their undersides for moisture for the eggs may cool them down too much in this weather.  Papa Pea fears the embryos aren't gonna make it.

Mother Nature never lets spring come to the northland in a pleasant, easy or normal way, but we're all hoping this is her last blast of winter-ish weather.  It's about time.

15 comments:

Rain said...

The photos do look pretty but really, enough is enough! Mind you, about 15 years ago, I lived at the top of a mountain, not too far from here and we had snow until mid-May...and SNOW...I mean, people still had snow-clearing contracts for that area. But as soon as you drove down a few minutes, spring. I'm really grateful we didn't get that weather! Though it still is cold and rainy here, so I'm staying in under the covers today. :)

Mama Pea said...

Rain - As they say, this, too, will pass. Soon I'll be so busy outside I'll yearn for some of these enforced days inside!

MrsDuncanMahogany said...

We are expected to get some rain/snow mix tonight...its still sunny here in Winnipeg but I suspect that is going to change very soon.

Mama Pea said...

MrsDM - So this is what they call "spring," eh? Sigh.

Laurie said...

Oy! I'm sending thoughts of a warmer spring your way!

Mama Pea said...

Thank you, Laurie! We need all the help we can get!

gld said...

I hope it is too. We are still getting rain every other day down here in the south land....I hesitate to complain because we don't want too little rain.

odiie said...

We still have white on the ground from last Monday. Just hasn't gotten warm enough to melt it. My poor garlic-it's little green shoots are shivering in the wind.

Joy said...

I feel your pain. We migrated north this weekend from our winter home in Arizona to our summer home in the northland , just in time for the 42 degree rain. Sigh.

Mama Pea said...

Glenda - With the heat you get, you'll need a lot of moisture to get you through your growing season!

Mama Pea said...

odiie - I haven't even taken the mulch off my garlic yet! And after these past three days of ice and snow, I'm just as glad! We're supposed to get up to 39-40 today but all is still so ice encrusted I'm not too hopeful much will melt. :o(

Mama Pea said...

Joy - Yes, I can imagine you "snowbirds" returning to the north have wished you had stayed south a little longer! Hang in there. We WILL have spring . . . maybe in time for 4th of July.

Susan said...

Okay. It's beautiful if you say so. I would be crying in my soup. Which is what you would need in this weather. I hope it is gone soon and you can move (reliably) into spring!

Mama Pea said...

Susan - Okay, ONE more day of winter! Not getting as warm today as they said it would. 23 degrees again this morning. (Bed felt good.) And, yes, soup for lunch. Hot soup. ;o}

Sandy Livesay said...

Mama Pea,

I would have stayed in myself....too cold!!! You live up in a beautiful part of this country.

Can you believe it snowed in northwestern Oklahoma....something like 10 inches.

Hugs,
Sandy