Saturday, June 14, 2014

Am I Repeating Myself? Yes.

What do you do when you have absolutely nothing scintilating (or even halfway interesting) to say?  Well, you repeat yourself.  Or at least that's what I'm going to do for my post today.

Last night I was thinking of my favorite aunt.  She's been gone now for several years but my memories of her are still near and dear.

Back when I first started blogging, I wrote a story she told.  (At that time, I think I had maybe two readers [one being my daughter] so the following will most likely be new to you.)

The Taciturn Jogger

Several years ago, my dear aunt who is advanced in years but is young in spirit and has always maintained her friendly personality, decided it would be good for her to start each day by going for a brisk walk.

So first thing every morning, as soon as her alarm rang, she would rise, wash her face, put on some comfortable clothes and walking shoes and head out the door.  She would walk her measured distance, then turn around and proceed back home.

Each morning she passed a young male jogger, probably in his thirties, at the same point of her walk.  He would be coming toward her, dripping with sweat, and moving at a pretty good clip.  She always greeted him with a few words.  "Beautiful morning, isn't it?"  "How are you today?"  "We'd better hurry, it looks like rain."

Although he always looked her in the eye, he never acknowledged her by saying a word in return.  His stern facial expression didn't alter, and he just moved swiftly past her.

One morning, her alarm failed to go off.  She woke later but left the house for her walk as soon as she could.  Obviously, she met her taciturn jogger at a different spot than usual on their route.  As they approached each other, before my aunt could speak her greeting, the jogger said in an accusatory voice, "You're late.  I was worried about you."

Never hesitating or missing a stride, he kept going right on by.

The End

Have a great weekend, y'all!



13 comments:

Kelly said...

Aww, what a great story!

Susan said...

Best story EVER!

Carolyn said...

That IS a great story! And makes me think that I should do a "memory" post on one of my Aunts!

Mama Pea said...

Kelly - Thank you! I thought it was kind of cute . . . and my aunt sure got a bang out of it.

Mama Pea said...

Susan - This dear aunt of mine went through some not-so-easy times in her life but always was ready to laugh and see the good side of people. She was one fan-TAS-tic homemaker and I knew from an early age I wanted to be like her in that respect . . . and several others!

Mama Pea said...

Carolyn - Oh, please do! We are, in a lot of respects, our memories. I'd love to hear about your aunt.

Unknown said...

You never know what people are thinking!

Mama Pea said...

Nancy po - That's true, especially when encountering someone like the "taciturn jogger!" :o)

tpals said...

Very fun story. Thanks for sharing.

Sparkless said...

Great story but I was sure the ending was going to be that he had ear phones in and never hear her speak to him the entire time until the one day she was late and she said something and he answered because his ear phones were broken. I like the real ending better though.

Mama Pea said...

tpals - You're welcome!

Mama Pea said...

Sparkless - Hey, maybe everyone should make up their own ending to the story! We could maybe come up with some good ones . . .

Sparkless said...

I bet we could. LOL!