So, so, so much to do out there, but I'll drive myself straight into the looney bin if I focus on what's not done rather than what is done.
I got the strawberry patch ready for the season today. Old debris cleaned out, spring weeds pulled, and wood shavings spread for mulch. Papa Pea hauled away the corn stalks we had used for winter mulch on the bed.
The plants don't look like much yet (picture taken from a second story window), but give them a couple of weeks and they will become lush, little bushes.
Our strawberry patch used to occupy twice as much space in the field garden, but last fall I took half the plants out. (As you can see, nothing else has been happening in the field garden yet . . . except for the healthy growth of some weeds!) The berries on the plants I tore out were getting small, and the plants needed to be replaced. (I put in those original plants in the spring of 2009 so it's understandable why they were worn out!) We're going to get by with just the remaining number of plants this year. We're wanting to move the strawberry patch, but haven't made the decision as to where so I didn't want to order any new plants yet.
I made enough strawberry jam last year to keep us going for another year (at least), and I think this year's harvest will give us enough berries for fresh eating, a pie or three and several quarts for the freezer to use in smoothies.
I also got one raised bed planted out today. In it I set out transplants I had started inside of lettuce, kale, arugula, and mizuna mustard. I also had room for spinach seeds and more kale seeds. Now I'm hoping the good weather gods smile on us, and this first bed gets off to a good start.
Seed Books, Bathroom Changes, & Water Alarm
2 hours ago