Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Start on the Cabinet Installation

I'm trying to contain my impatience but am disappointed that we didn't get any farther today on the pantry cabinet installation than we did.

B was able to give us only a couple of hours of her time today because of other responsibilities.

It took all three of us (plus four small boys and a shoe horn) to get the cabinet frames muscled into place. B believes in building to fit with no sloppy wiggle-waggle room.

Once in place, she set to work screwing the three units together. Good thing she's such a skinny-minnie little thing.

Above she and Papa Pea are lolly-gagging around, lying down on the job. I tell ya, the help you get these days.

After B had to pack up her tool box and leave, Papa Pea was able to finish some nailing.

I had hoped we would get the tops on the cabinets so we could work on putting up shelves on the upper part of the walls in the next few days, but it will be much easier to install the cabinet tops without the shelves in the way so we'll have to find something to occupy ourselves (whatEVER will we do??!) until B returns on Monday to finish up the cabinets. By then I should have the doors done and she can install them, too.

I hesitated setting up to do more polying today because the morning was very overcast. Now at 4:30, I realize I could have gotten a whole day's work done without a drop of rain falling. Oh well, I'll cross my fingers for a good, long day tomorrow spent with brush in hand.

9 comments:

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

I dont know what your talking about, everyday you show a picture it looks like a ton of stuff has been done. I am sure when you are there in the middle it seems like it is moving like mud, but from my view it is really taking form.Looks good.

Sue said...

Jane is so right. My gosh, you get like 400 things done in a day. There is so much going on. And then , on top of it all YOU'RE NOT GARDENING (ha), so full full days you do indeed have!

I'm getting so excited to see the end result. I may not sleep tonight at all!!!
Well, maybe just a LITTLE bit.
:D

Mama Pea said...

Jane - Yupper, moving like mud! It takes sooo looong to do every little thing! Or maybe it just seems that way when you want it to be D.O.N.E! Now! (Impatient? Moi? No, why?)

Sue - While wearing my non-gardening hat today, I picked and processed 12-1/2 pounds of strawberries. I know I'll appreciate those luscious berries later on (and I do appreciate them for fresh eating right now) but, coly how, they're interfering with my construction time. Geesh.

As for your insomnia on my behalf, I'm sending the Sand Man to your house immediately. I don't want to be responsible for you losing your beauty sleep. ;o} Z-Z-Z-z-z-z.

Sparkless said...

I have learned from experience that nothing ever goes as planned when doing renovations. There are always several, what am I saying, a ton of things that need fixing or don't work so you have to figure them out. That all takes time and effort. Then add on top of that all the usual crap like making meals, cleaning up, laundry and I'm tired just thinking about it all!
You and Papa Pea are making fantastic progress. It's going to look amazing when it's done. Keep your eyes on the prize.

Erin said...

I'm with the others, it looks fantastic! The frames take the longest, I know it will go up in a flash now, even if it doesn't seem like it to YOU! Love, love the cabinets, but you know I'm a sucker for the pine, eh? Makes a girl homesick :)

More photos! I can't wait!

The Apple Pie Gal said...

You guys move fast! Tell PapaPea that laying down on the job is not allowed. And with another woman...the horror! ;)

Looking real good lady!

Mama Pea said...

Sparkless - What I need to remember to do is enjoy the journey! I keep thinking "when it's all done, when it's all done." But I have to keep reminding myself to ENJOY and APPRECIATE each little step of the way that we accomplish.

Erin - Well, a Minnesotan does need her knotty pine fix every now and then! Glad to oblige, eh?

APG - No chance Papa Pea would fall asleep in that position, but if he sits too long after a meal these days his eyes do start to go to half mast. He and B were so uncomfortable while "lying together" there that I wasn't too worried! (Rather just glad he didn't ask ME to crawl under there!)

Susan said...

Oooh, nice, new cabinets! Shelves! It is going to be completely and wonderfully marvelous in there!

Mama Pea said...

Susan - It's just a little U-shaped configuration of cabinets but I think it's going to hold A LOT!