Sunday, May 9, 2010

Bring In The Clowns

Earlier this week when my better half and I were both going in multiple directions at once and getting a little frustrated at what we weren't accomplishing, I said, "If we could both clone ourselves, we could maybe get something done around here."

Jordan over at Blueberry Hills Homestead recently wrote a post about not being able to find enough hours in a day to do what she wanted. She's a single gal working a full-time job while trying to get her homestead and animals established.

Guess what? As long as you're living, breathing, have the ability both physically and mentally to get out there and follow your dreams and pursue your goals, you'll never find yourself with time on your hands.

I know this seems ludicrous to say but even though my husband and I are "retired" and no longer working a job away from home, neither of us can find enough hours in each day. I suspect being home full time has enabled us to lift the lid off the box that has held lists of all the things we've always wanted to pursue but never had the time for before this.

Depressing? Well, not really. (More like just physically and mentally exhausting!) I think if a person is ambitious and has many interests and a lust for living and learning, time will always be in short supply.

Toss into the mix the fact that you live on a homestead with animals of any variety and/or number and are pursuing growing as much of your own food as you can and . . . well, hours (heck, moments) of boredom or leisure are few and far between.

Later on that same day that hubby and I had talked about having clones to help with the work, he came charging into the house, grabbed something and was on his way out again as he muttered, "Where's my clown when I really need him?"

Freudian slip? Or merely slip of the tongue??

7 comments:

Erin said...

Definitely clowns! That's hilarious, and you are spot on with the time thing. I am far busier and more productive now that I stay at home full time! Although we miss the money, I have to think "money for what?". We were spending it on clothes for work, dinners out, and prepackaged food and out of season produce! So in reality, the extra money we may have had before didn't really go towards any improvement on our quality of life. Now we have fresh homegrown produce, I always know where my kids are, and that tired feeling at the end of the day is welcome because I know I got my exercise! Tell hubby he's right, we don't need no stinkin' clones, send in the clowns! Happy Mama's Day, and tell your daughter too, I hope she gets to check in with the Peanut, I know she has a very special relationship and what a great thing it is to love a child and be rewarded with a barrage of gummy smiles and silly questions!

Jennifer Jo said...

Great line from your hubby!

Despite all that I have to do and want to do, I still get bored/down/lazy. I think it's a personality thing.

Jordan said...

Yo ho ho, so true! Here's to that bottle, I mean glass of wine and that heating pad and blanket!

Mama Pea said...

Hey, Erin - I know there are situations where it is absolutely imperative for a mom to work outside the home to contribute to the financial well-being of a family. But I also know too many moms who work away from home because they can't stand to be with the kids all day. The money they pay for day care (let alone work clothes, car expenses, lunches out, fast food for dinners, etc.) leaves them so little take home pay that it's hardly worth it. I give all the credit in the world to stay-at-home moms. It's one of the hardest of jobs, but what is more important than raising happy, secure, healthy, well-adjusted children?

I am now stepping down off my soapbox. Happy Mother's Day!

Hi, JJ - I have a theory. (I-I-I-I-I have a dream!) I have a theory. When we get bored/down/lazy (and it happens to us all), I think it's because we are facing doing something(s) we don't WANT to do. Hmmm? What you think?

Mama Pea said...

Hey, Jordan - I'll drink to that! I take it you DID work outside today in that cwappy weather??

Katidids said...

HAHA! I agree! Now that I'm home all the time I'm busier than ever. More projects and things to try....I think I budgeted my time better then. Well, working was not an option it was a need at the time, and I HAD to get things done. Now I think "I'll do it after bit" & I tell hubby...we need a wife! But I wouldn't have it any other way. I count my blessings and keep goin!

Mama Pea said...

Hi, Katie - You're right, I think you do have to be more "strict" with yourself in budgeting your time when you're home full time. But on the other hand, it's really hard to turn your back on work that needs to be done because you can't walk away from it! It's always there staring at you. But like you, I'm so grateful that I am able to be home full time and be my own boss! (If I could only get paid for it.)