Friday, October 30, 2009

Homemade Bread and Curing Onions

Now those are two things that make me very happy. First off, I always get a warm, cozy feeling when looking at a picture of homemade bread. (It doesn't even have to be MY homemade bread.)

I don't even care that these loaves are lumpy and bumpy. It's rye bread, and I'm just so happy they rose as much as they did. (Flavor's pretty darn good, too.)

Next, you've all been with me through my onion trauma. I do now have about a gallon and a half of dehydrated ones put by. When dehydrating the onions, I purposely picked through all of them choosing ones that looked like they didn't have a snowball's chance in h-e-double-hockey-stick of curing and drying on their own. So then I noticed a couple of days ago that darned if the ones remaining didn't look like they were . . . could they be? . . . well, for heaven's sake! They looked like they were doing a good job of curing and drying . . . even stacked up on top of each other in the big cardboard box (that I'd been trying to avoid).

So I smooshed some furniture together and spread a tarp on the floor and laid out the remaining onions to give them every possible chance of further curing so they might turn into real storage onions . . . and last into the winter. Of course, they're now in a spot where we have to step over and around them about a hundred times each day but they're lookin' good, and I'm so thrilled I don't have to go through the dehydrating process with any more of them!

Rye bread that rises and onions that cure . . . life is good.

3 comments:

Erin said...

this is hilarious!

Sue said...

Glad the rest of your onions are "behaving" like they should. Your "Eau de Onion" air freshener was probably getting on everyones nerves!
:D

Mama Pea said...

Erin - You laughin' at me?

Sue - "Eau de Onion" -- getting on everyone's nerves, eyes, sinus cavaties . . . yup.