Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Frazzled

Just one of those days that we all have now and then. Too much to get done in a day's time . . . and yet we continually fool ourselves into thinking we are capable of accomplishing it all. (Picture Wonder Woman with her headpiece and cape askew, tights bagging at the knees and limping slightly . . . that's how I feel tonight.)



We had one whopper-doo of a storm last night and received a blessed inch of rain. Boy, we needed that. The garden soil is still moist and black 18 hours after the last drop of rain fell.



I'm going to be away from home all day tomorrow and so had strawberries that really needed to be picked today. I went out about noon time but everything was still so sopping wet (and the rain brought the slugs [shudder] out in full force) that I stopped trying to pick hoping it would be drier later in the day.



It was after dinner tonight before I could get out into the strawberry patch again. Better conditions, although the slimy slugs were still in evidence. I got all but one of the eight rows picked before the bugs got too bad.





I'm too pooped to process them tonight so they'll have to wait patiently in the refrig until tomorrow night, and I'll deal with them then.



Wonder Woman needs a shower very badly now and a good night's sleep before hitting the floor running tomorrow morning. How does one arrange your life so that you don't have way too many Must Dos of a day? It truly seems like there are so many time-sensitive things to be done that if you put them off, the next day they come back to bite you in the derriere and make your life even more rushed. And unpleasant. And frazzled. And . . . aw, heck. I'll think about it tomorrow.



Love, Scarlett



6 comments:

MaineCelt said...

Sign on a good friend's fridge:
"The hurrier I go, the behinder I get."

But your berries look beautiful, and I *love* your Wonder Woman outfit! (Now that I know you have an invisible glass plane, you really do owe me a visit!)

Jennifer Jo said...

Dear Scarlett,

A garden, like children, throws a wrench into the most well-organized life. Period.

Love,
Another Wonder Woman (who long ago chucked her tights in lieu of flashing her varicose veins...)

RuthieJ said...

Let me know if you ever figure out how to arrange all the "must dos" in a workable system......oh never mind, I'll just know when I see you on all the talk shows because you'll be the most famous woman in the world then!!
Those strawberries look delicious, too bad I live so far away....I bet we could make short work of them in an afternoon!

Mama Pea said...

MaineCelt - I cross-stitched a sampler of "The hurrier I go, the behinder I get" years ago! However, I still (obviously) haven't learned it's lesson. Life is not supposed to be a race; it's meant to be enjoyed. (I'm still a work in progress. Sigh.)

Couldn't I just drive to Maine (via all back roads)? Flying scares the bejeezus out of me. (Invisible glass plane or no.)

Mama Pea said...

Mama JJ - You've got a good point there about the garden. It's a living, breathing thing and you sure can't control it.

Keep flashing whatever, Other Wonder Woman. We gotta learn to be ourselves.

Mama Pea said...

Ruthie - Will I be rich then? I've often said I have no desire to be famous (I'm an introvert) but I wouldn't mind having a crack at being rich.

I would LOVE to spend an afternoon with you over a batch of strawberries. What fun. And we would both end up with some yummy jam!