Saturday, August 16, 2008

Knit One, Purl None

Recently I was in need of a mindless handwork project . . . something I didn't have to think about while doing.

Until I stumbled onto quilting, I used to be a dyed-in-the-wool knitter but in recent years my knitting needles have been sadly neglected. Every now and then though, I still find it very enjoyable to pick up my needles, some yarn and go to it. And, let's face it, although you can join a bunch of other quilters at a retreat or modern day facsimile of an old-fashioned quilting bee, impromptu get togethers of a few knitters ensconced around a table accompanied by softly clacking needles and good conversation is much easier to come by and more apt to happen than quilters gathering to quilt.

But I digress. Back to the needed handwork project. I picked up a skein of yarn at my favorite small yarn shop, and this is the end result. This new (at least to me) self-patterning yarn is the coolest thing to come down the pike in an age! How amazing is that? No carrying colors, no need to knit at home in solitude with eyes glued to a pattern, no endless tails of different colored yarn to weave in. I've got to get more of this stuff!

No comments: