Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Not Complaining, Just Explaining

No doubt about it, I've let myself become a bit of a grump for the past several weeks.  I have no real reason to succumb to such morosity (yes, I just made that word up) and sincerely apologize to any of you facing any real problems.  Which I am definitely not.
 
Although I do love our winter season with lots of snow, cozy down time spent inside in front of a crackling fire in the wood stove, when the month of April arrives and we're still receiving one heavy snowfall after another that requires hours spent clearing, shoveling, snowplowing . . . one does get a smidge bit frustrated wondering just when the ice and snow will recede and temperatures will rise up out of the 30s as a daytime high.
 
I'm trying to take it as a promising sign that in the last several days, snow has turned into rain so not much chance of our area facing the dreaded dry spring forest fire danger.  That's good.  However, the ground is currently so saturated that our wind storm of the last three days has brought a lot of damage to large trees and just about anything else that isn't anchored firmly in cement.
 
Grid power has been spotty with some surrounding areas out for longer periods than others.  The weather has been reminiscent of the "gales of November" . . . in April.
 
I had plans to do many outside tasks during the month of April.  Ones that I could accomplish before being able to concentrate on this year's garden.  Those plans have been blown away (literally) because of the continued snow, rain and uncomfortably low temperatures.
 
One would think I'd be happy to enjoy this unexpected time in my quilt room.  Or knitting on the couch.  Or reading.  Or blogging!  Or, hey, what about spring house cleaning?  (Scratch that last item.)
 
So that's my explanation . . . which probably does classify as complaining.  But, oh, what a few days of sunshine and air temperature that actually felt w-a-r-m would do to propel me out of my grouchy, lethargic mood and infuse my mind and body with energy.  As a wise lady (who a couple of months ago felt the same as I feel right now) told me yesterday . . . this will pass.  Not in the time line one would choose . . . but it will pass! 

12 comments:

gz said...

We just keep getting a nice day...just to raise our spirits before the next cold and wet spell!!

Marie said...

it's driving us all batty !!!! the "gales of November" need to go back to November ......

stay safe - this too shall blow away ...

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

You never know what you’re going to get with April. If it’s any consolation, there was a bit of wet snow here this afternoon. Can we all just feel sorry for daffodils and tulips? Hang in there! - Jenn

Mama Pea said...

gz - If you can spare it, please send just one of those "nice days" here so we can remember what they're like! ;o)

Marie - I just made a quick trip to town and saw two yards that had lost big trees. Luckily, the wind blew the trees away from the houses. Whew! Still, lovely big ones like that will never be replaced in the owners' lifetimes. :o(

Jenn - I think my daffodils and even crocuses that are poking through have been covered with at least 6" of snow three times now! Poor things.

Rosalea said...

I can SO relate to you! We are being inundated with rain, rain, rain. It started Sat and will apparently continue until Friday. It is raining now. I just give up, gear up and go outside just to walk around, as it is too wet for anything. The pond is overflowing, and the puddles are bigger than they were after snow melt. The weather liars better be right about it being over on the weekend, or think I'll just pull out all my hair!!!

Mama Pea said...

Rosalea - Isn't it strange how much the weather can affect our moods? Most of the time I can handle it but there's something about this time of year (winter into spring) that plays nasty games with our minds! How 'bout if both of us go outside, stand in the rain/mist/dampness and scream for a while? ;o)

Rosalea said...

Think maybe I've already done that!!!! You heard me?????

Mama Pea said...

Rosalea - Oh, and we thought it was the siren of a far away squad car!! Silly us. ;o)

Michelle said...

We've been enduring a colder and wetter than average spring – and then last week got slapped by three days of record-breaking HOT weather! Rude, but it seems to have hit the reset button. Since the hot days, our weather has been blessedly 'normal.'

SmartAlex said...

You've had such a lousy winter. It can be just as tough with a mild one when you have some awesome April weather and everyone is sure that spring is here and then it turns awful in May and breaks your heart. It did that to me in 2020 and 2021. This year has been better but it is still hard to be patient with the fickleness of Mother Nature.

Tim B. Inman said...

I had a cousin who was mentally challenged (I hope that is a correct way to say it now....) She was unable to do much for herself, but she was physically healthy and active, nearly savant - and naturally funny!

While complaining about the cold winter one time, she answered by saying, "Next thing you know, it will be so hot you can't breathe!"

From the mouths of babes. So, enjoy your chilly days - 'cause the next thing you know......

Cheers from Oakdale Farm

Nancy In Boise said...

Hang in there! We've been in the 80s, too warm, now have flood warnings! Sigh...