Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Pay Back

All those years of having my bright, inquisitive, little daughter standing on a stool next to me at the kitchen counter have paid off.  That time seems so long ago now (it was), but I do remember how every now and then I couldn't help thinking that I could cook and/or bake anything about three times faster without my little kitchen helper beside me.
 
Now as a grown woman, dear daughter lives by herself, loves to cook and bake, but it's not something she does a lot with only herself to feed.  So yesterday she did wonderful things in my kitchen.
 
Not only did she make a batch of Black Bean Burgers for the freezer (yum) and try a new recipe for chapatties made with einkorn flour (a dismal failure -- how do recipes like that get published?), but baked six loaves of bread.
 

Two rye loaves which gained her great favor with her dad, two loaves of Egg Bread, one made into Cinnamon Bread -- be still my heart -- and one left plain.  Also, two robust loaves of Oatmeal Bread that had yet to come out of the oven when I took the above picture.
 

I really want to drizzle some white powdered sugar frosting over the top of this loaf, but that makes such an ooie-gooie mess in the toaster!  Toasted Cinnamon Bread for breakfast with an egg fresh from the hen house . . . can't be beat.
 
No, we didn't sit down yesterday and stuff all six loaves into our wee mooths (as my Scottish grandmother used to say).  All but one loaf, the Cinnamon Bread, went into the freezer for the benefit of having a stash of homemade bread put by for the future.
 
So, yes, I'd say this is definitely pay back for those years of clouds of flour floating through the air and apple peelings littering the floor along with the million questions of "Why?" from my little kitchen helper.  Now she's a big helper and I love it! 

11 comments:

gz said...

A great success!

Mama Pea said...

gz - I'm luxuriating with all that bread in the freezer! :o)

Michelle said...

I can dream....

Felicity said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Leigh said...

Beautiful loaves! There's no greater reward for our time and patience than having our little ones grow up into skillful adults. Good job, Mama Pea!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks awesome. My kids had no interest in cooking. Last night I made a meatloaf and sides, and two girls showed up out of no where (had no idea what I cooked). There was zero left over for today.

Anonymous said...

Congrats to mom and daughter! My grandmother made oatmeal bread but no recipe, would you please share yours. WI-Dee

living from glory to glory said...

I enjoyed reading this post! What a blessing to have your daughter living so close! Something so cozy and fulfilling about baking our own bread! I have been working with sourdough starter~ I am enjoying the learning curve. How precious to be married for almost 60 years! Have a wonderful day!
Roxy From Living From Glory To Glory Blog

Mama Pea said...

Michelle - Yes, you can dream and miracles do happen! You never know what the future might have in store for us and our loved ones. :o)

Leigh - So right! We are blessed with our daughter who has talents and skills that we're sure didn't come from the two of us!

Kristina - Isn't strange how they seen to have that sixth sense about just when is a wonderful time to pop in on mom and dad?? Look at it as you got a really good, wholesome, nutritious meal into them!

Anonymous WI-Dee - Sure, I'll be glad to share the Oatmeal Bread recipe. Just go over to the right hand side bar and send me your e-mail address and I'll get it off to you.

Roxy - Our daughter lived in a couple of locations several hours away from us for a few years, but then realized that the area in which she was raised looked pretty good. But I'm very glad she did get out and about after college to experience what she did. And what doesn't smell better than bread baking in the over? Well, sauteing onions is pretty good, too! I truly cannot believe we've got our 60th anniversary coming up. It just doesn't seem possible at all. Thank you for your kind words. :o)

Nancy In Boise said...

Thats great!!!!

Mama Pea said...

Nancy - Sure is! ;o)